Chapter 8 Home

After leaving the hospital Castiel was back at the bunker. He was sleeping mostly and only was up if he needed something. Dean would ask every time if he needed help but the angel insisted that he was fine. The second day back, Castiel wasn't as tired and wanted to spend time with Dean. Wrapped up in a blanket, Castiel was relaxed against Dean watching Doctor Sexy with him. The angel didn't mind Dean's choice of the show, he secretly enjoyed it himself. While they were watching it, Castiel curled into Dean. He was freezing and he didn't know why. He knew that the bunker was only room temperature and he was never cold like this. Dean wrapped his arms around the angel.
"You okay?" He asked
"I'm freezing." Dean rubbed Castiel's back.
"I know...that's one of the side effects." He said. Castiel nodded. He watched Dean talk to the doctor for nearly an hour about him. He was grateful that Dean cared, but he also thought that he takes it a little too far sometimes. Closing his eyes and leaning into Dean, the angel was exhausted too. Castiel was still tired and he didn't know why. Dean gently kissed his head.
"You should sleep." He said looking at the gauze covering his boyfriend's neck.
Castiel shook his head no.
"I'm fine, resting my eyes." A moment later, Castiel opens his eyes to find Dean looking at his neck. Castiel hated that. He knew that people would stare and now that Dean is too he's starting to get annoyed.
"Will you not stare at me?" He asked. Dean looked down.
"Sorry." Castiel wrapped the blanket tighter around him, almost like a turtle hiding into its shell.
"It's fine." Dean looked back up.
"While you were sleeping, the doctor called. He wants you to come in tomorrow for a bit to check out the stitches and talk about the radiation." Castiel nodded listening.
"Okay, not like I'm doing much." Dean faintly smiled and kissed his angel.
"Do you want me to get you anything? Food, drink,...more painkillers?" The angel shook his head no.
"I'm fine Dean." Dean let it go and rubs his angel's back. He knows that something's up but he'll ask later. For now he wants him comfortable, relaxed, and stressed free. He told Sam that they won't be hunting for a while and he understood. Even the youngest Winchester wanted Castiel to get better. The angel eventually fell asleep on Dean and the hunter noticed. He picked him up bridal style and gently placed Castiel on their bed. Pulling the blanket over him, Dean watched Castiel sleep comfortably. He knew he had to start making appointments and before leaving the room to make them Dean kissed Castiel's hair and quietly shut the door. Going to his laptop and calling the place for it, Dean set it up in the afternoon because he wanted Castiel to sleep and he wanted to take his time getting there. While researching more about Castiel's condition and whatever Dean spots Sam walking towards him.
"Hey Dean." He faintly smiled pushing his hair back.
"Hi." Dean replied as he looked back at the screen, reading another medical website. Sam sat down next to him.
"What are you doing?" He asked
"Reading."
"I know your thinking I'm a pain in the ass but do you want me to help you with anything? Like, I don't know...research about it or something?" Dean looked up and met his brother's gaze. He was fine with him helping but he didn't want Sam to hover over Castiel and make him uncomfortable. Castiel, at this point, thought of himself as another piece of meat, always being cut on. He hated the way Dean would look at him at times, the angel only wanted to please the hunter and in this state, Castiel wished Dean would just leave him.Meanwhile in the library part of the bunker, the brothers were researching more about thyroid cancer and after an hour or so they had a good understanding about the whole thing.
"About helping me and Cas out Sammy, you can just don't be all mother hen on him okay?"
"Yeah, I get that don't worry I'll not treat him differently."
"Thanks." Not long later Dean went back to his room and took his clothes off and got into bed with Castiel next to him. He wrapped his arms around his angel and he couldn't help it but he was staring at the bandage again. Castiel had his eyes closed, trying to sleep since Dean was with him now and he knew he would be okay, but he felt the hunters gaze, and it wasn't at his face.
"Stop it." He said sternly. Dean looked back up at Castiel.
"I'm sorry, I didn't know you were awake." He rubbed the angel's back.
"Do you need anything? I won't mind getting it?"
"I'm fine." He said, faking a smile. Dean kissed his cheek.
"Okay...you have an appointment tomorrow. They're gonna remove the bandage and stuff and yeah." Castiel nodded looking down.
"Just something else for people to stare at." He murmured. Dean put his hand under the angel's chin and gently raised his head so he can face him.
"You'll always be handsome to me okay. If people stare then most of the time they're curious and they don't know and I get it, it's annoying but I'll be here for you. If they start harassing you then I'll kill someone because you don't deserve any of that." Castiel nodded.
"Thank you Dean." Dean smiled.
"Anytime. Can I ask you something?" He asked. Castiel nodded.
"Of course."
"Just be honest okay...um do you think I'm being annoying about this?"
"No, you care, and I appreciate that. I just wish you would stop staring." Dean nodded, understanding.
"I'm sorry about that. It was just...kinda hard not to." He tried to not sound rude. The angel nodded.
"I understand."
"But, I'm honestly gonna tell you this." Dean took a breath.
"People we know will look and not because of harassment but because they are concerned and I don't know it's just what they do. In the future though, no one will care because it will mostly be faded away by then and they will hardly notice it." Castiel only nodded, burying his face into Dean's chest. Dean rubbed Castiel's back and gently kissed his hair.
"Don't worry. Like I said, if they're annoying you to the point where you won't be able to take it, I will kill them." Castiel chuckled.
"I love you." He said and placed a kiss on his chest.
"I love you more." Dean smiled and kissed Castiel's hair again. Castiel traced his finger over his hand print on Dean's shoulder. Dean faintly smiled.
"I love that print."
"So do I."
"Good." He relaxed into his mattress. I love memory foam. He thought. Castiel closes his eyes with a yawn.
"I'm going to take a nap."
"You should, you need sleep." With one last nod, Castiel fell asleep. Dean smiled watching his angel sleep. It was a relief to him knowing his angel won't be in pain or anything. Closing his eyes too, Dean fell asleep holding Castiel.