Chapter 2: The Egg

Media: Suzy Bae as Hazel Devereaux

I opened the door slowly, hoping mom wouldn't notice I've arrived so late in the evening

"Where were you at this hour?" I flinched upon hearing mom's repressed angry voice. I should have known she would be waiting for me in the living room. Although I've prepared an excuse just in case!

"We have a lot of exams coming up so Hazel and I decided to study out at the café. I'm sorry I forgot to mention, it was kind of sudden" I reasoned out hoping she would believe me.

"I've already called Hazel a while ago and she said you weren't together. Why don't you just tell me the real reason why you're late?" she eyed me raising an eyebrow. Sometimes I wonder if mom had worked in FBI before. She always checks things beforehand.

"Uhm.. actually... I decided to stop by the park a while ago and fell asleep while lying on a bench looking at the sky. I guess I was really tired because when I woke up it was this late already. This may sound so stupid though but it's the truth, I promise. I'm so sorry," I said, giving her a sincere apologetic look. I'm not really lying except about the park part.

Mom sighed, "I'm surprised how I can easily believe that knowing how stupid you are,"

Okay, that kinda hurt though. "You shouldn't be sleeping just everywhere. This neighborhood may be safe, but you should still be careful! It's dangerous leaving yourself defenseless like that," She scolded.

I nodded, "You're right. I'm sorry. I promise it won't happen again"

"Okay good, as long as you understand. Nothing else happened?" she asked.

I suddenly remembered about the egg but felt like I shouldn't worry her about this thing. "Hmm nothing really," I muttered.

"Are you sure?" she pressed.

"Yep. You see I came back just fine" I chuckled then hugged her. "Love you, mom." I kissed her cheek then rushed upstairs. She's such a worrywart.

I went inside my room then locked the door. I hurriedly opened my bag to check on the egg. Okay, it looks fine. I got it off from the bag then put it on the bed. I sat on the floor while observing it closely. Hmm.. what could be inside this thing?

I noticed that the egg's light became a bit dimmer and it got me worried as if it's getting colder. Oh no, what should I do?

"Dew!" mom called from downstairs which startled me.

"Y-yes?!" I shouted back.

"If you haven't eaten anything for dinner there's some food I left in the table. Just warm it up in the microwave!" she reminded.

"Okay, thank you!" I heave a sigh of relief. Whew, I thought she was coming in. I looked back at the egg and it's not how it used to be when I first saw it. I guess I need to warm it up with something like how you're supposed to incubate eggs?