Chapter One

Forgotten

Chapter One

The stars lean down to kiss you

And I lie awake and miss you

Pour me a heavy dose of atmosphere

Cause I'll doze off safe and soundly

But I'll miss your arms around me

I'd send a postcard to you, dear

Cause I wish you were here

One Week Later

The hospital room was dark and deathly quiet, except for the beeping of the monitors that were keeping track of the patient's vitals. Two people were in that room, one, peacefully unconscious, the other, waiting in anguish.

Edward sat at Bella's bedside, holding her hand just as he's been doing for almost a week. He glanced at her pale face and willed her to wake up. Right after he'd woken up five days ago and found himself lying in a hospital bed, he'd asked for her and he'd felt his heart stop beating when they told him that she was in the room next to his, that her injuries were extensive and that she might never regain consciousness again.

He'd immediately gotten up from his bed, ran to her room and had refused to move from her bedside. The sight of her lying there, so pale and helpless had caused him to fall to his knees and cry in anguish. All this was his fault. If only he's been more careful. If only he'd paid attention to the road. Oh God, he could lose her! No! He can't live without her. She's everything to him.

Edward's head snapped up when he felt the hand he was holding squeeze him. It was as though she was responding to his thoughts.

He gulped, hoping against hope that she's finally coming back.

"Bella?" He whispered. "Bella? Can you hear me?"

He waited a moment and there was nothing. She continued to lie there without movement and Edward's heart plummeted. His throat tightened and he felt tears stinging his eyes. If she didn't wake up soon he didn't know what he'd do. He couldn't even contemplate going back to their home without her. They'd built that home together and they were damn well going back there together.

"Come on, Bella." He urged her quietly. "Open your beautiful eyes for me. I need you."

This time her fingers twitched a little bit. Still, to Edward who'd spent the last few days barely eating or sleeping, just looking for some sign of life from his wife, it was a reason to hope. She's going to wake up. He knew she would. She had so much life in her; he couldn't imagine that she'd just give up.

He heard the door open and close but couldn't bring himself to move his eyes from his wife's face in order to see who it was.

"I brought you some food." He heard his father's voice say.

"Thanks." Edward said tonelessly. Honestly, he couldn't stomach any food right now.

Carlisle sighed and laid one hand on Edward's shoulder.

"You should go home and rest. I'll take over for you if you want…"

Edward cut him off before he could continue. "I'm not going anywhere, dad."

Carlisle looked at his son with pity. He knew exactly how it felt like to see someone you love slipping through your grasp and to know that there was absolutely nothing you could do about it. Bella had been like a daughter to him since he first realized how much she loved his son. Losing her would bring pain to a lot of people. He was determined to do everything he can to help his son and to be there for him through it all.