Chapter Six - Dinner For Two

Chapter Six

After a tiring day at school, I was ready to enjoy the night ahead with Rachel, I was quite nervous about how it would turn out because I hadn't been on a proper date for a long while. I had to start with making myself presentable. It was 4 o' clock and I still had three hours so I sat and watched tv considering it doesn't take me long to get ready. Quite a while later, my dad walked in.

"You're home early."

"Yeah. Took the afternoon off. Aren't you supposed to have football practice or something, don't laze about all day." How ignorant of him! I spend the best part of my time training, not that he would know.

"No dad actually, I have time to kill before taking my girlfriend out for dinner later."

"Oh, didn't know you were dating, good on you son, don't mess it up." Yeah, great advice! Tell me something I don't know.

"Dad, I'm not stupid."

He walked past and ruffled my hair, "I know son. Well I'm going to my colleagues house later so you won't see me probably till tomorrow and your mom is downtown with her friends and she won't be back tonight either so take care when you get back."

"Yeah, whatever."

The thing is, my dad and I have a pretty distant relationship. He is never around when I need him and hasn't been for a long time since he thinks work is more important than family so we just don't bond. It used to make me sad that he was always off on another business trip or he was working late so he missed me play football but now I don't care, I don't need his fatherly support anymore so he doesn't have to bother trying to be honest.

An hour had passed so I decided to get myself ready. I headed up to my closet and searched through my options. I wanted to look casual but appealing at the same time. I chose a pair of navy slim fitted jeans and a fitted green t-shirt. I didn't want to look too desperate to impress, they were casual enough and I hoped Rachel would think I looked good too so I put them on.

Next was my hair. I don't usually bother too much with it but I couldn't decide whether to keep it down with a sideswept fringe or just do the usual and spike it up. In the end I settled on the usual and headed back downstairs to pass more time.

I left the house at around half six since it is only a ten minute drive to Rachels estate but I needed to stop by a florist on the way to buy a bunch of flowers. I headed to the counter where a young woman, probably in her early twenties was stood.

"Hi, I need to buy flowers and I have no clue where to start."

The woman smiled and scanned the store. "Who's the lucky girl?"

"Er, my girlfriend, I'm taking her out tonight."

"Ah, the good looking guys are always taken." She winked jokingly before continuing, "Well if you want to wow her, those blue roses are your best bet, very rare and the girls love them."

"I'll take them." I went and took them, bringing them to the counter.

"That would be 55 dollars please." I got out my wallet and handed her the cash before leaving.

"Have a nice evening."

"You too!" She chirped.

***

I arrived with a few minutes to spare and walked up to the door with the roses behind my back and rung the bell. No-one had come to open up but I didn't want to ring again and sound desperate so I waited. Rightly so because a few moments later, the door opened. There was Rachel standing there looking amazing in a little black dress and her hair down in loose curls, I was blown away.