Part Eight: Joy

Louis fiddled with the hem of his shirt nervously, avoiding the curious gaze of strangers. He was sat on the curb by himself outside a primary school, so he understood why people were looking at him strangely. He bit his lip nervously, as he saw an older man at the bus stop across the street looking him up and down hungrily.

Louis shifted looking away from the man and checking his watch nervously. Harry had called Louis on the phone excitedly and told him to go to the school so they could take the picture of joy for Harry's project. Louis was already out and decided to go to the park early and wait for Harry. There was still ten minutes before Harry was due to arrive. Louis stood up and glanced back towards the older man, heart starting to thump when the man licked his lips and started to walk across the road towards him.

Louis looked around, trying to find a place to go. He began to walk quickly, only thing on his mind was putting as much distance between them as possible. He turned to see if the man was still following, and broke into a run upon seeing the man seconds behind him. He ran quickly, eyes clouding with tears. He heard heavy footsteps slamming into the pavement behind him.

"Where are you going twink?" The man huffed. Louis felt a hand close around his wrist at the same time that he saw Harry down the street.

Louis took in a deep breath as the man twisted his wrist, effectively stopping him from moving forward.

"Harry!" Louis screamed as loud as he could.

Harry started to sprint towards him, but Louis knew that it would take him while to get through the crowds of people. The man slapped a hand over Louis' mouth and dragged him into a side alley. Louis struggled against the tight grip on his wrist and kicked his legs at the man.

"Let go!" He yelled, trying not to look afraid.

"Come on slut," The old man growled, breath reeking of cigarettes and coffee, "Be a good whore."

Louis felt anger pulse through his veins. He had had enough of being a damsel in distress, always needing saving. Before he could lose his nerve, he reeled back his fist and slammed it into the man's jaw as hard as he could. He heard a crack and felt searing pain bloom through his hand, but it was enough to make the man recoil. Louis took the opportunity to drive his knee into the man's stomach and push him to the ground. Years of anger he never knew he'd bottled up were released as he climbed on top of the man and started throwing fist after fist into his face.

"Louis!" A voice yelled from behind him in surprise.

Louis continued to punch the man, until gentle hands were holding his waist and lifting him off.

"It's just me, Lou," Harry murmured into his ear. "Come on let's get out of here."

Harry set Louis down and began to walk, leaving the bloodied man groaning in the dirt. Louis followed, breath huffing in and out quickly. The adrenaline started to wear off by the time they got to the park, and Louis realized that he had been crying the whole time.

"Harry," He sniffled, "Can w-we sit please?"

Harry nodded and Louis flopped down on the bench. He buried his face in his hands for a second and then yelped, his knuckling throbbing. This only made him cry harder.

"Louis babe," Harry murmured sadly,
"Can I hold you?"

Louis nodded and let Harry pull him in closely. He rested his face on Harry's shoulder, and waited for Harry to yell at his for being so weak.

"Baby... Can you tell me what happened please?" To Harry's credit he was holding his shock in very well after seeing his sweet Louis beating someone up.

Louis sniffled and recounted the story. "I...I don't know what came over me b-but... I just started punching him. H-Harry I'm so tired of needing p-people to save me."

Harry kissed Louis' temple, "You're so strong," He whispered.

Louis' face broke into a shy but proud smile. "You r-really think so?"

"Of course I do. You saved yourself back there." Harry squeezed Louis' waist.

Louis' smile widened and he swelled proudly, Harry was right. " I just t-thought about how tired I was of being weak, a-and how badly I wanted to get him off me..."

"Hey. Listen to me," Harry gently took Louis' chin into his hand, "You have always been strong, even if you haven't realized it."

Louis was silent, thinking about what Harry said. "I feel strong." He whispered.

Harry smiled, and connected their lips.

A few hours later Louis was soaring towards the clouds on the swing set. He laughed an exhilarated laugh, feeling free. Harry had set the camera up and pushed Louis until he was soaring. He scurried behind the camera and snapped a couple pictures of Louis laughing.

"That's perfect, love," Harry called, smile wide.

Louis dragged his feet in the ground, stopping the swing. He felt different, had felt that way since he beat up that man.

"Harry I feel different," He mumbled, walking close to Harry.

"Good different?"

"Great different." Louis breathed, "I feel... Like I'm free and I can do anything."

Harry smiled widely, "Kiss me."

Louis carded his fingers through Harry's hair and pulled him in for a deep kiss.

"Thank you," Louis murmured, resting his forehead against Harry's.

"For what?"

"Believing in me."

This fandom is a mess so here I am hiding from all the drama.

Ah well

So character development is fun and there's something I love about sweet little Louis standing up for himself like that.

Anyways please leave any comments that you want to, I really really love feedback

I'll update again soon

Lots of love
-blaze