Ten

Doc said I need a break from the stresses of school, and quiet frankly my family as well. If any one knows how to freak out, it'll be my family. So, we contacted my professors and the dean and I've been allowed leave without any infractions or a push off date for my graduation. It also helped that I handed in all my work early. They put me on some downers, hoping it'll suppress the adrenaline spikes, and now I'm on my way to Emily's place.
Before I could even knock on the door, however, it swings right open.
"If you even think about knocking one more time, there'll be hell to pay." Emily scolds me and I smile a little and apologize.
"Come on in." She nods further into the house and I take a deep breath, walking into the kitchen. Emily leans against the counter as Sam walks up and wraps an arm around Emily's shoulders.
"You look like you got something on your mind." Sam says and I nod.
"I uh-" I clear my throat. "I wanted to apologize. For Rick's behavior." I start and Emily goes to say something but I cut her off.
"And thank you." I say seriously, looking Sam and Emily in the eye.
"For everything, you've been... more welcoming than I could've ever imagined."
"... This doesn't just sound like a thank you." Emily says quietly and I nod with a small smile, looking down at my feet.
"No, it's a... it's a goodbye." I nod, looking back up at their widened eyes.
"B-But you and Paul-" Emily starts but Sam cuts her off with a hand on her shoulder. At the mention of his name my heart squeezes and my knees start shaking.
"I can't stay here. I can't hurt him." I choke out, needing the peninsula for support.
"What do you mean?" Sam asks and I look at them with a sad smile.
"I passed out because of my adrenaline. I have a very serious, very extreme case of ADHD. I have dangerous adrenaline spikes and a naturally weak heart... I shouldn't be alive. My estimated death date was a while ago... now it's just a waiting game, really." I confess and they look at me with wide, shocked, and scared eyes.
"A-And Paul, he-" my throat closes up and I couldn't continue, I could only shake my head.
"He's an amazing person." I nod as my voice cracks and my eyes tear up, my hands starting to shake.
"And he deserves to be happy." I nod as the tears stream down my face and Emily envelopes me in an embrace that I return. "Not stuck with a girl that has a heart that can just give out." I cry.
"Where are you gonna go?" Sam asks as Emily pulls away, but still holds me close.
"I'm figuring that out." I take a deep breath and wipe my eyes.
"Well there's a guest bedroom up stairs if you feel uncomfortable with Rachel." Sam says and I go to refuse but he gives me a harder look. As if I couldn't refuse him.
"Thank you." I bow my head to him and he nods.
"Don't thank me yet. We're going to do everything we can to keep you here." He says and I sniffle with a small chuckle.
"What, you're gonna chain me to the house or something?"
"No. But we're going to let you in on a secret that has been kept since the beginning of our tribe. Then you won't want to leave." He says.
"Sam-"
"Call Paul. No one else in the pack is allowed to interfere with an imprint."