Chapter 24.

Though the smile was evident on her face, she remained frozen for a moment.

What she had been dreaming of for so long had become reality; and it almost didn't seem right. She was half expecting something or someone else to abruptly pop out of the shadows and stop this dream from really coming true. How long had she imagined this moment? How had she felt only a little while ago? Surely it wasn't right. But slowly, as she stared down at Uragiri's body, no trace of movement on him in the slightest, she realised it was real. This wasn't just some hallucination; she had actually done this. She had completed her goal—and relief mixed with some strange glee filled her, and she didn't know whether she felt like laughing or crying.

In this case, she did neither, merely taking a few deep breaths to once again clear her mind, allowing her brain to fully accept all that had happened in space of just a few short minutes. She could stand there and say she had killed Uragiri. A weight had been lifted off her shoulders; but still, she knew it would never be enough. No matter how much joy filled her heart at knowing he was dead, it would never bring her father back. It would never take back what he did. She would never be finished in her life's work—and so she would continue on. Clenching her fists to emphasise her thoughts, it was now that she finally turned to look up at Sasuke.

He couldn't hold back another smirk that flashed across his features. A glint was instantly obvious in her eyes with all she was feeling towards all that had happened. He could only imagine what she felt like right now, and though a part of him was jealous; she had managed to achieve what he had been working towards for so long now—it didn't last for long. In a way, it strengthened his resolve to make his own dream a reality. He wanted to share those emotions and revel in everything she was experiencing. He was glad she had done it. She deserved revenge in much the same way he did. She had handled it so well, and strangely he shared some of her joy. This had deepened their connection, and stepping forward, he finally broke the silence, stating simply in triumph,

"Congratulations."

Smiling back at him, she turned for a moment, then stepped forward and crouched, drawing her kunai across Uragiri's throat to make sure there would be no second chances for him. She had worked hard for this moment. As such, when she killed him, she wanted him to stay dead. But with that completed, she rejoined Sasuke and walked with him side by side as they left the building, stopping only for her to set light to it. With the flames as their backdrop, they walked silently—though not awkwardly—back to the dojo, thoughts bouncing around their minds with both still with a lot to think about.

Walking through the hallways, they headed to the kitchen, and as she began preparing the drinks, Sasuke turned and rifled in another cupboard. It wasn't until the tea was ready, walking over to place the cups on the table, that Sasuke returned and allowed her to see what exactly he had been looking for. He held several rolls of bandages, a bowl of water, antiseptic wipes and other assorted medical tools. Though she knew some medical techniques, her injuries were nowhere near bad enough to use them, and as such reached for an antiseptic wipe, clearing the blood from her hands and where the skin on her fingers had torn.

A moment later and she tensed, looking round to find Sasuke had grabbed a section of bandages, soaking them in the water and had started washing away the blood from the lesions on her arms. Glancing away from his gaze, fighting the blush that was beginning to rise up her cheeks, she concentrated back on her palms, focusing on nothing but that as she finally blurted to break the silence,

"I'm sorry—about how I was before with Uragiri. I was just...I was afraid."

Narrowing his eyes at her words, to begin with Sasuke said nothing in reply, continuing with his work as she reached for the tea and took a sip. From what he knew of her, it seemed strange for her to admit being afraid of something, but eventually he had to question as to what she had been afraid of, curiosity overwhelming his hesitation. Smirking at how ridiculous it appeared now, she replied bluntly,