Chapter 25.

It was an unusual feeling for both Sasuke and Mei as they woke up.

Having spent the large majority of last night wrapped around each other and kissing, it almost seemed like a dream as they woke up and lay, staring, at the ceiling. It took a moment for everything to come back to Mei, with so much having happened yesterday—and yet at the same time, she couldn't stop a small smirk from fluttering across her features. It had surprised her and contented her simultaneously, at the idea that the first thing that crossed her mind the day after killing Uragiri was not the memories of all that he had done; it was nothing to do with everything he had said to her yesterday and what she had been through, but instead the first thing that came into her mind was of what had occurred with Sasuke. Then again, a large part of what had turned yesterday into a success rather than a disaster had been Sasuke, and even after they had said goodnight and gone to their respective rooms, Mei had continued to think about him.

Sasuke had merely done the same, feeling almost triumphant at how things had turned out. He had learned Mei's name, and the fact he had brought about a sense of satisfaction he hadn't thought he'd feel. Maybe it had been the idea it meant Mei was letting him in, or that she had finally reached a point where she felt she could truly trust him. But either way, Sasuke was happy about it. It made him shake his head when he considered it—something that appeared so trivial was making him react like this. Even if it wasn't trivial it was strange. He wasn't the kind of person to react like this, and yet here he was. But Sasuke hadn't imagined anything like this would happen when he first arrived at the village. He couldn't stop what he was feeling, and he had come to realise there was no need to. It wouldn't stop him from completing his goal, and if anything, Mei was going to help him there.

An absentminded smirk abruptly flickered onto Sasuke's face as the memories of last night returned to him as he began to think about Mei, his gaze never moving from the ceiling in the meantime. He'd never been in that kind of situation before—never wanted to be—yet once it had happened...he'd liked it. Really liked it. But a few moments later and he realised what he was doing, and shaking off the memories—the feelings—for the time being, it occurred to him that he needed to get up. So dragging himself out of bed, he went through his daily routine, a strange determination and enthusiasm rising within him as he did so, everything that had happened somehow pushing him onwards even stronger towards his goal. Why exactly that was, Sasuke didn't understand, but he brushed it aside for the moment, leaving his room to head to the kitchen, in the mood for some serious training today.

As he came into the kitchen, Sasuke found that Mei was already in there getting her breakfast, and smirking at that fact, he stepped forward and began to do the same. Sensing him immediately, Mei turned around and returned his smirk, nodding in their own silent way of saying 'good morning'. Not needing to say a word, Sasuke leant forward to press his lips to hers, turning back to preparing his breakfast once he pulled away. In much the same way, Mei went to the table to begin eating, both of them knowing without speaking that that was what they were both comfortable with. They weren't exactly going to be all over each other—like they were last night—every time they saw one another, even if it was the beginning of their relationship. It was how they were as people, and they had their own way of doing things, meaning it was quiet as Sasuke joined her, small talk occurring here and there and only truly getting into conversation as they both finished eating and began to clean things up.

"So are you ready to continue your training? Or do you need a day to rest and recover?" Mei teased with a mocking smirk and raised eyebrow, but Sasuke wasn't about to put up with it. Narrowing his eyes and scowling slightly, he clicked his knuckles and responded firmly,

"Oh, I'm more than ready, believe me."

Nodding in acceptance of that, they both got up and headed out towards the training grounds, preparing themselves for the day ahead of them. The problems of yesterday seemed just that—yesterday, and nothing more, as they faced each other in the clearing and Mei began to talk about what training they'd be doing that day. As they got into the tempo of training, repeating physical movements and listening to Mei talk about certain techniques, everything else faded away, the past remaining in the past and all that mattered being in front of them. A lot had occurred since Sasuke had arrived at the village, and now it was all over with. He could fully concentrate on his training and allow himself to get stronger, and spend time with Mei simultaneously.

A part of them did feel slightly unusual at the idea that they were 'dating'; just saying the word in their heads didn't sound quite right, and it didn't really seem to fit them or what was going on. Yet what else could it be called? Mei was his girlfriend, after all—Sasuke was her boyfriend. And it wasn't like they didn't want to accept the fact. Both of them understood their feelings now and were willing to accept them. They wanted to be with each other. But with all they had gone through in their lives—with their personalities and how they treated other people—it was natural for them to see it that way. It would just take a little time to get used to, but they cared about each other and they were willing to let it happen. And with situations like last night, it wasn't as if they weren't looking forward to it.

It was a feeling that remained for the next couple of days. Whether it was because they were spending so much time together alone in the dojo; Mei's relief and happiness at having fulfilled her goal affecting her actions; or that there was nothing getting in the way for them to train together and concentrate on what was in front of them, without having to try and figure out their emotions in the meantime, they weren't sure, but they were fervent, that's for sure. In training Sasuke worked harder than ever, and there were times they found themselves just as enraptured in each other as when they first admitted to it all. Nothing got in the way of what they were aiming for, distracting them and stopping training in any way, but it remained in the background as the days went by.

It had got Sasuke thinking, too, and the second night, as they ate dinner, he couldn't help but mention it to Mei as they discussed his training:

"I can see myself improving. I know it sounds strange, but I'm actually looking forward to the training to end. I'll be at my best, and I'll defeat Itachi. It feels like I'm getting closer. My future is laid ahead of me."

But it was this statement that got to Mei. It wasn't the idea of Sasuke saying the training would end; she knew it would eventually, as all training did, and she wasn't about to drag it out for no reason. She wanted him to finish his training as well, after all. It wasn't what he had said about Itachi, either, already knowing Sasuke wanted him dead and agreeing with him entirely—she had got her revenge, and she wanted Sasuke to get his own. But it was his last comment that had affected her. It seemed so benign and trivial, and when it came down to it, it was. There should be nothing in that sentence that should affect her. And yet, as they finished for the night and headed to bed, it was all she could think about.