Chapter 35.

Should she do it?

Should Mei explain what was going through her mind—or at least try? She had never been one to share her feelings and emotions, to tell people what was going through her mind; if she had a problem, she was more than capable of taking care of it herself. There was no need to get advice from anyone and no need to talk it out. At least, that was the way it had been before. Sasuke hadn't changed who she was, and Mei would never be particularly open with her emotions. But her mind was on overdrive right now, turning from thought to thought and still not coming up with any answers. But maybe...just maybe...Sasuke could help her. She wanted to turn away from him, to tell him that he was wrong about her being confused and uncertain about her decision. That she didn't have to tell him anything. Only then what Sasuke was doing and saying came back to her, and it made Mei halt. The expression she had seen on his face in his eyes when she had said that...she couldn't brush it aside and dismiss it. It only heightened her uncertainty about everything she'd been doing and thinking, and though there was still that obstinate feeling that had risen when she'd first turned round and headed back, simultaneously Mei wanted him to understand.

She didn't want to hurt him, and with what had happened Mei was starting to think she had done. That wouldn't have been the case if she had simply spoken to him about it at the beginning. If she talked about it with Sasuke, then maybe this raging tsunami of thoughts within her head would calm to mere ripples in pond. This choice—and the one Mei had made to head back in the first place—were tearing her apart, and seeing it for himself, Sasuke suggested they camp where they were for the night. Neither of them were in the mood to travel anymore with all that was going on. Maybe if they simply sat down and relaxed a little, they could try and figure it all out. Yet somehow, with that decision—as they made a fire and sat down beside it—the atmosphere it create as the sun began to set made things calmer between them, and Mei knew it was too late. She couldn't hold it back anymore, whether it was Sasuke's reactions affecting her or her thoughts in general. But if meant there was a chance she could be certain in her decisions...she had to take it.

"You probably noticed how I was when we left," Mei abruptly began, and snapping his head round to face her, Sasuke narrowed his eyes in surprise, having not quite expected that. But taking her words into account, he thought them over. She hadn't appeared any different, showing any signs of her doubts then...but then it hit Sasuke. That was the problem in the first place. Most people, if leaving the home they had lived and worked in their entire life, would have a reaction. Though, in the same way he had been when leaving Konoha, Sasuke hadn't expected tears and whines from Mei. But he had thought about what he was doing the entire time, focusing on the path ahead, his memories passing through his mind and disappearing just as quickly. Mei had had an even stronger connection to the valley and dojo, and Sasuke remembered as they had left that she never once looked around her. She never stopped to look back at what she was leaving behind or take in her surroundings—maybe that had made a difference.

Sasuke did nothing but nod, and seeing his reaction, Mei continued, "I never looked back. But I didn't think I'd have to. True, it was where I'd grown up, lived and even worked, but I wanted to leave. There was nothing tying me to the valley anymore—I wanted to leave it behind me."

Glancing down, Mei stared deep into the flames in front of her, Sasuke never tried to interrupt her as, after a pause, she went on quietly,

"It was only as I got further away that it finally began to hit me. When my father died, I'd said I'd carry on his work. But when you started telling me how things would be...I couldn't help but think I was being selfish. That leaving just because of you—of Uragiri—it wasn't right. All of my memories are there, whether good or bad." At that, however, and Sasuke couldn't stay quiet, speaking up softly to respond,

"But you don't want to stay there—to work like you were. I know you don't. You've been alone this entire time, not even living in the village. You barely ever trained anyone. The only thing that had been tying you to the valley was Uragiri. Until you killed him—now you can come with me; you can help me with my goals."

"And how do I know how things will go? What you said only gave me doubts, and knowing how everything has changed. I don't know anything about what's ahead of me Sasuke, and I don't like feeling ignorant. The valley and dojo is what I know and understand, and I didn't want to have to face that unfamiliarity. I didn't want to have to cling to you because of my stupidity."

"It's not stupidity," Sasuke swiftly cut in, his voice firm and his eyes never leaving Mei's form, even though he spoke quietly, going on afterwards, "True, you may be uninformed about plenty of things, but that doesn't make you stupid. It won't take you long to understand—to learn. None of it will show through, anyway."

Mei couldn't stop a small smirk from flickering across her face as Sasuke spoke, amused at him defending her even after all that had happened. At how he dismissed all her worries, reminding her they were nothing. That they didn't matter. But even she hadn't expected him to suddenly reach out, sliding his hand into hers and interlocking his fingers, stroking his thumb slowly across her skin. Narrowing her eyes, Mei wasn't sure what to do, but her shock only increased as she abruptly felt his other hand slide underneath her chin, gently raising her face to meet his. Unable to look anywhere but him, their eyes met and she was caught by what she saw there. They weren't filled with emotion, but his gaze was so intense Mei couldn't look away; she didn't want to. Stunned into silence, Mei said and did nothing as Sasuke finally spoke, falling into a whisper as he did so,

"And as for your doubts, Mei...don't think for one second that they're true. There is no reason for you to even consider them. I may not truly understand it, but I care about you. And there is nothing whatsoever that would make me want to betray you. I would never, ever hurt you, and I refuse to let anyone do the same. Don't doubt that, either."

His words caught Mei by surprise, true, but gradually it faded, leaving behind only the emotions they had brought up within her. Sasuke hadn't said all that in a truly romantic way, but he hadn't needed to. Everything he had said was what meant the most, the meaning behind it—the force with which he had said it—that made all the difference. And suddenly, it wasn't just her surprise that faded away. All that Mei had been thinking of over the past few days seemed stupid; ridiculous to even consider. What had she got to worry about? The valley had nothing she wanted anymore, and after killing Uragiri...she could move on. Her father wouldn't have wanted her to be unhappy. The rest of the world might be unfamiliar and unknown to Mei, but if she could deal with everything she had in her life already, she could deal with that. After all, she wouldn't be alone on her journey—she didn't want to be. Mei had agreed to train Sasuke, but it wasn't a matter of work. She wanted to help him get stronger because she cared about him. He shared the same goal she had had before she had gotten the chance to follow through with it—why shouldn't Mei want to help him carry it out in much the same way she had?

Then there was what Sasuke had said just now. From the moment he had started talking about how things had gone in Konoha, those doubts had begun to grow in Mei's mind, and combined with everything else she hadn't been able to push them aside. Though she had known she trusted Sasuke, without being able to dismiss them entirely it wouldn't be good enough. It would only follow her around day to day and stop Mei from truly becoming with one with her new life. But with those few words, Sasuke had changed her mind completely. Those doubts were gone completely, and she knew with utter certainty that there was nothing she had to worry about. Sasuke wouldn't betray her—and that was fact.

But with that in mind, a soft smile flickered onto her face, knowing her real decision now, no longer confused, and as such she didn't hesitate to lean forward and press her lips against his. Sasuke did nothing to push her away, merely wrapping his arms around her to pull her closer, his fingers sliding underneath her top to gently stroke at her sides. Sliding her hands up his chest, causing Sasuke to shiver, Mei wrapped her arms around his neck, not bothering to fight back as Sasuke's tongue ran across her bottom lip, merely opening her mouth and allowing him to explore inside. Moaning softly at the feeling, their tongues then intertwined, both moaning, before Sasuke pulled away to press gentle butterfly kisses down her jawline to her neck, exploring softly as Mei buried her hands in his hair.

What was there to worry about?