Started Out As Neighbors

*September 14, 1989*

I remember this day almost perfectly.  My family and I had just moved to California from dreary old Louisiana.  Well more like my dad got a huge promotion and shipped us out here.  Granted I was only 7, but hey I was just starting 2nd grade.  It was a big deal for me.  I remember arriving at our new house and being completely amazed at how much bigger it was compared to our other house.  It was two storied and had an pool in the backyard which blew my mind!  Ha ha yeah we had a small house back home in Louisiana.

We helped unpack the moving trucks and eventually settled on who was getting what room.  I was the youngest out of all of us kids, not to mention being the only girl.  I got the room the only room upstairs that had the only attached bathroom (my parents thought it was necessary).  When we were done with most of the unpacking, I decided to head outside and inspect the backyard.  As I walked near our pool this boy came out of what seemed like nowhere. 

"Hi, my name is Zack! I'm your new neighbor!"  This boy was so cute and he had the prettiest green eyes, not to mention he was carrying a tray of chocolate chip cookies. "H…Hi… I'm Camille." Stupid shyness, I couldn't even speak two words near this boy.  I led him inside and introduced him to my parents Lyle and Kim.  My parents seemed to like him which I guess was a good thing.

*September 3, 1995*

My first day of high school.  Man I was I nervous!  I walked throughout the halls of Huntington Beach High School in search of my classes.  I was still considered the redneck from Louisiana even though it had been six years since I moved here.  But I guess my slight cajun accent still hadn't left yet.  

"Need help miss?"  I freaked out only to hear laughter erupt behind me.  

"Zachary James Baker! Ugh you jerk!"  I still can't believe me and Zack are still friends.  I don't even remember having a best friend like Zack for so long.  Granted we were neighbors, but still he was always there for me no matter what was going on.

"Hey it's the first day and you were looking like you were gonna pass out or have a nervous breakdown! I had to lighten the mood somehow."  He smiled that famous smile of his that could send any girl to her knees.

"Well that wasn't the way to do it. Anywhere, where's Matt and the guys?"  I've known Matt and the guys since 6th grade and they were the best guy friends any girl could ask for.  Sure my two biological brothers weren't too thrilled when they met them, but once they got know them they lightened up.  And they always treated me like a little sister anyway, so I knew they wouldn't try anything on me.

"Cami, don't worry they'll be here…eventually.  And hey don't look worried we still got 10 minutes before we go to homeroom."  Right before the bell rang for homeroom Matt, Brian and Jimmy all walked into school.  We said our hellos and good mornings as we made our way to the same homeroom that we would be sharing for the next 4 years. 

And you're probably wondering why I'm starting high school at 13, well let's just say that I'm extremely smart.  I try not to show up the guys in class, but I just can't help it.  I have a knack for school and learning.  

After school we headed over to Matt's house for them to have band practice.  As for me, well it was good background music as I started on my homework.  Yes I am a nerd, and I love it!  Brian and Zack grabbed their guitars, tuned a little bit and then they were off.  Their didn't exactly have a name yet, I mean they were still in the garage phase after all. 

They played for what seemed like hours, when really it was only about two.  By their third song I was done with my homework and decided to let the music just flow through me.  Their music was a cross between Metallica and well some other band.  I can't really describe it cause it's something unique in itself.  Of course all the guys were unique in their own way.  I still to this day don't know how Jimmy became a freak of nature on drums.  Brian, well, he's a genius on guitar. And Zack is well, Zack.  He is amazing at guitar, but fails to realize it.  I mean he's been teaching me how to play since I was 11.  The guy is amazing at it.  Of course there was Matt.  His voice was something unbelievable when he sang/screamed, not to mention his piano skills are pretty nice as well.

When practice was over, Zack and I decided we might as well make our way home.  Having him as my neighbor had its perks when it came to walking home after band practice.  

"So how did we do today?"  Zack said breaking the odd trance that I was apparently in.

"You guys sounded great! I mean you guys always sound great."  This was true, they have all been friends for a good while and they always seemed to play their hearts out at practice even though it was myself, Val (Matt's girlfriend) and Michelle (Brian's girlfriend) who were really listening.

"Oh and I forgot to ask you how your first day went?! I can't believe your still in high school with us even though your a year younger than everybody!"  I just smirked and kept walking.

"It was alright I guess.  Got picked on in some classes cause I was the youngest, but then they shut up seeing how I knew most of the answers to the questions."  Zack just smiled and we kept talking about the school and how the World Series was coming up.  It's good to know that I'm not the only person in this neighborhood who LOVES baseball.  All the other girls and people just want to shop and go get liposuction done or something of that nature.

We finally made it to our houses, hugged, then went our separate ways.  This is how it went for the next few years.