Started Out As Neighbors Ch. 11

**Late February 2007**

Today the guys were gonna be starting their new record.  They had been writing a lot lately and finally came to the conclusion that they wanted to self produce this record.  But what they didn't know was that I was gonna help them out a bit, but only as a friend and not a producer.

Zack and I pulled up to El Dorado Studios only to see a camera crew start to unload their vehicle.  I forgot that they wanted to do a DVD thing that showed how the guys are when they're recording.  It's a great idea and will definitely give the fans a good laugh.  We walked in, put Zack's gear in one of the studios and then headed back outside.  

Syn and Matt were getting here along with Michelle and Val and saw Michelle was carrying the cutest dog in the world - Brian's Maltese Pinkly. It was weird thinking that a 26 year old guitar god had a purse dog. Oh well he loved that dog just as much as he loved Michelle.

"What's up guys.  Mr. Synyster G, Mr. Zacky V.  in front of this big blue building.  Yeah it's become quite our home and we're totally in the middle of recording this record. So let's go inside and have a look."  And we're off!

I followed Zacky to Studio A where pretty much everything was recorded - Matt's vocals, Syn and Zacky's guitar work, and yeah whatever else you can think of.  We sat down on the couch in there and started mapping out where they wanted to start. 

They settled on starting on a song titled 'Almost Easy'.  And from what I could gather Jimmy had come up with this masterpiece. It was funny to see how they were going to start off this song. The guys resulted to rock, paper, scissors and Jimmy won.  Now they had already demoed this song out in Matt's garage, so they knew somewhat of how they wanted it to go.  

Jimmy walked over to his drum kit, and when Fred gave the go ahead, Jimmy went at it.  To this day I still don't know how he came up with the double-ride thing or play so freakishly good.  I knew that he took lessons when he was younger, but damn this guy was awesome!

"That's great Rev, let's give it one more go and then you'll be done for now."  Jimmy gave a thumbs up and went at it again.  I think he's done for that song, even when they want to finalize it, it's still badass.

Next up on the chopping block was Matt's vocals.  I walked back into the main studio to see all five of them huddled around the iMac working on the lyrics for it.  They were bickering about whether or not they should add something to the chorus and I was on the side that was wanting to add something to it.

"Guys… guys… DOUCHE MONKEYS!"  Well that got their attention and a laugh from the girls.

"Douche monkeys? Well that's a new one. But what's up Cami?" Matt.

"Why don't you guys add something after every line.  Kind of like an echo effect. Like 'Mother, 'Said it all', 'You've learned your lesson', 'But first you fall'."

"Cami that's genius! That's why your Miss Smarty Pants!" Jimmy told me while ruffling my hair.

Once they worked out the lyrics a little bit more, Matt printed a few copies and headed into his booth.  We gave him the demoed background music and he started singing. It was interesting to hear him sing.  Although he had no formal training, his range was pretty damn good. After about 30 takes and much critique and correction from Syn and Zacky, he was done.  He walked out of the booth and straight to the huge container of Red Vines that was waiting for him.