Chapter 28

The next morning, I sit at the end of the table in the kitchen staring into the darkness of my coffee. Wearing a baggy sweatshirt and jeans that Sophia gave to me, I try to disguise my presence underneath the hood, hoping any breathing person within hearing distance can take the hint that I'd rather be anywhere else than here.

"Since when does it drink coffee with us?"

I ignore Milasia's question and I keep my eyes down. I'm surrounded by Slayers, but it's not my safety I'm concerned about.

"Hear that?" the voice says. "You're an it to them. They'd kill you within a blink of an eye if he let them and you know it."

I rub my temple.

"Sit down, Milasia, you're just in time," Sam says. He stands against the wall with Megan at his side, both of them look sheepish.

"For what? For the little witch over there to get more of us almost killed? How do we know she didn't work with Amara to injury Sophia? Huh?"

"She isn't a threat to us," Sam says. "She's working with us to find Amara's weakness."

I slowly lift my eyes to meet his, and my stomach twists. He has no idea how close I came to ending his life last night, he has no idea how much I wanted to, just for this to end.

"Fine." Milasia drops into a seat at the other end of the table, she folds her arms and glares right at me. "I'm listening."

"We've already explored every possible weakness Amara could have," a Slayer protests, I remember her name as Veronica. She is Russian and her accent is incredible. "You have units around the world risking their lives for information and nothing comes of it."

"Those units don't have me," I say quietly. "If you don't know her weaknesses then it's because you've never met a witch willing to share them. And trust me, torture won't get you far."

Milasia scoffs. "I'd give you ten minutes."

"It's not you that the covens are afraid of," I say, ignoring her once again. "The truth is, they're afraid of the Elders. Amara, and all of her ancestors before her. It is in our. . . beliefs that when we die our souls join the realm of the Elders to receive our eternal reward for our services. If the last act we make in this world is betraying Amara, then it is also in our beliefs that we will be eternally punished."

"Sucks for you then," Milasia mutters. "That's if you are betraying her."

"Amara murdered my coven," I say. "She turned my mother to ash right in front of my eyes, so yes, I am betraying her. I might face eternal agony for sitting here at this table, but as long as I leave with the world a better place than it is today, I don't care."

"You're betraying all of us."

"So, what are her weaknesses?" Megan demands.

"I'm warning you."

"I. . . she. . ."

The faces of the people around me fade to nothing, one-by-one they vanish from their seats, leaving only one person sat at the other end of the table. Her pale and intimidating face startles me and I cannot hide it. It's happening again.

"You're really starting to get on our nerves," Amara says. "They picked you to match me but you're as weak as a child."

I shake my head, blinking to myself. "It's not real." I repeat it over and over. Even when I hear her dark laughter, even when I hear her chair slide backwards and her shoes tap against the laminate flooring.