Chapter 43

Marcus pulls his hand back with a hiss as the amulet burns him. His hand merely touched it for a second, which was evidence enough. I glance at each council member with my head held high.

"Thank you for bringing it home," Marcus says. "This will be quite the coronation."

"How did you retrieve it so effectively?" a witch asks. Her eyes are a marvelous shade of grey and they compliment her thin, bony face and lightened brown hair well.

"The Slayers trust me," I say. "And, apparently, so does the forcefield around their castle."

Marcus chuckles. "Even suppressing your demon side cannot hide you from energy. It will always sense you, always trust you, always be there. You are a magnificent product of nature. It is a shame you must turn away from it."

"I'm told I have to choose," I say. "So, I have. I have chosen to accept the Elder position and rule over the covens."

"I am sensing a but."

"But, I will also choose my advisors. I want Joey and Natalia by my side."

"It doesn't work like that," a warlock growls. "They have no experience in-"

Marcus holds out a hand and silences the warlock. "Theresa, Natalia Redding murdered eleven of her own kind. Her coven belongs to the dark, they're unpredictable. If you offer them a place in your council you are beginning this with the wrong message."

"Almost every wiccan on this Earth has killed someone," I say. "Humans, Slayers, it doesn't matter. They're all responsible for murder. Natalia committed some evil acts but she was under the influence of dark magic. And I trust her coven more than I trust any that you appoint to guide me. This is the deal."

"Fine," Marcus says. "You may appoint two of your own advisors, however, we will provide the others. That is our side of the deal."

"Fine."

Marcus stands, and this has just become real. "As per tradition, we must give the covens one full day of mourning. We will announce Amara's death in an official capacity within the hour when all of the covens have gathered. Yourself, and your advisors, are not obligated to attend this. The coronation will take place tomorrow evening at sundown. We highly recommend that you work with your advisors through the night, and day, to prepare for it. It isn't an easy transition to make and will require intense studies. Becoming the Elder isn't just a power position, it's hours and hours of training, meetings and extremely hard work accomplished through sleep deprivation and challenging circumstances. Your coven, before their deaths, were the Elders' advisors for centuries, so we understand you have a minimal perception of what is expected. You will have access to limitless power, but you must also remember that there is always a cost to using it. Any decisions regarding such use should first and foremost be brought to our attention first. Is that clear?"

"Yes," I say. "Everything is very clear."

"Good. The main house will be refurbished and appropriately cleansed for your arrival."

"That won't be necessary," I say. "I already have a house."

"The Elder must be based at the main house," Marcus says. "It is the way it has always been."

"None of this is exactly traditional," I say. "I'm sacrificing a lot more than I'm gaining, so can't I at least have control over where I sleep?"

"If you want to be recognized as the Elder and taken seriously, then living in the main house is non-negotiable. Plus, you will need maximum security and they can't be stationed in the middle of the city. You may spend tonight in your own house, but after the coronation you will be obligated to live at the mansion."