Chapter 50

"Theresa?"

"I'm fine," I say, pushing away Natalia's hand. I stand to my feet and I glare around the Summit. It's too late to go back now, the transition is complete. Something is wrong, something is different, and I can't work out what. Thousands of eyes look at me, some with disgust, some with delight, and I am not afraid of anything.

"It is done," Marcus says, he turns towards the covens. "Whatever your feelings are towards this witch, Samara, the first demigod, has given her approval and it rules above all. Please welcome your new Elder. Theresa Harmon."

The room is silent. I haven't been to any Elder coronations before, but I'd imagine Amara and Vienna didn't receive silence. They just stare, probably wishing for it to be over. I feel something tight around my throat and I stiffen as Marcus places the amulet around my neck. Knowing that Samara is inside of it, most likely doing things to my head without me even realising, makes wearing it suddenly uneasy.

"As per tradition, the new Elder will now give a brief speech about the changes he or she wishes to implement."

"Do you really think that's a good idea?" Erin hisses at him. "We've just found out that she's one of them, the covens need time to-"

"I'm not one of anything," I say, stepping forwards.

I stop at the front of the stage, gazing around with low interest. I feel different. I always felt confident when I wore the amulet but this isn't like that, this isn't even on the same level. The amount of power that is coursing through me right now is terrifying, the covens have good reason to be afraid. Every second, it changes. It grows stronger, until I am entirely certain that I could kill them all here and now. I don't think this is Elder magic. What is this? Does my Slayer side make everything different?

"I know that you are scared," I shout. "But many of you know me, or at least, you knew my coven. What Vienna said is true. I am half-Slayer, half-Witch, and a little bit human. I am the first of my kind and I've only just found this out recently myself. Like you, I'm still processing it. I realise how unnatural this situation is, and I want to reassure you that my Slayer side is dormant. I am first and foremost a witch, and from this moment on I am committing one hundred percent to being the Elder that you need.

"We've all lost something because of Amara or another Elder that thought they were doing good. They made mistakes that we have all paid the price for in one way or another. In this very Summit five years ago, I lost my mother. And a few months ago, the last surviving Harmons were massacred on this very stage. Why? Because Amara was paranoid. Because she was bored. Amara murdered our families and we stood by and allowed it to happen. She murdered millions of innocent mortals and called it an uprising. If it wasn't for the Slayers, I would be dead. They saved me. They are not the enemy you have been taught to hate. The true enemy is much more terrifying and they are very real. And they are also very close to rising up and claiming this world as theirs. We must work together to stop them. All of us. Every species. The world as we know it depends on it."

I turn around and I look at Joey. He has his arms folded, his eyes on the floor, he's listening but he isn't understanding. I wonder if it'll be like that for everyone else, too. Will they only take the threat seriously when their loved ones are being burned alive?

"From this day on, there will be no more fights between the Wiccans and the Slayers," I announce. "I'm not saying that because of what I am, I am saying that because no damn Elder has ever had the stomach to find a way to make it happen before now. We need the Slayers on our side, even if they're commanded by the demons to kill us. It will take some time, and time isn't what we have, but it's the best we can do."

I take a deep breath. That entire speech has startled them beyond comprehension. I can read their thoughts as though they're screaming it in unison: work with the Slayers?