Chapter 47

Thank you for letting us into your home," Erin says as she lingers in the doorway that I hold wide open. "We will see you in a few hours at the Summit for final preparations."

"Goodbye," I say.

I wait until the two of them are in their cars and driving away before I turn to Joey. He joins me quietly at the doorway, looking across the street.

"They've certainly got character."

"They wouldn't have been my first choice," Joey chuckles. "But I guess they know what they're talking about."

"Serving Amara doesn't exactly qualify as experience," I say. "Their feelings towards humans might conflict everything."

"That's tomorrow's problem," he says. "Just focus on tonight and how you're going to survive it."

"I've survived worse."

He laughs and walks through the doorway while buttoning his coat. "You should probably know that since you've promoted me to be your advisor, it will leave you short a head of security. At the moment, Amara's second-in-command is taking over my role while I work with Marcus, but I do advise that you fire him in the morning."

"That bad?" I grin.

"If you want to make the world a better place for humans, then that should be the first thing you do," he says.

"I'll deal with it tomorrow," I say.

He smiles. "I'll see you soon."

I wave gently as he steps backwards and conjures a portal that swallows him up. I hear the birds tweeting in the sky and I spend a moment watching them, until a scream captures my attention from down the street.

I walk out from the doorway and I jog down the porch towards the street. I scan the row of houses until I see a cluster of shadows in the distance. I recognise the house, and its owners, David and Fiona. I've known them since I was eleven, I used to go over to their house to play with their daughter, Andrea. It's been years since I last saw them, the death of Andrea during the dark era turned them into recluses. I tried to speak to them several times, but they would never open their door to me. They would let the other neighbours in. Their human neighbours.

Right now, it appears they're being evicted. A gang of warlocks are gathered in their front yard, and are using aggressive force to stop the couple from re-entering their home. The commotion has caught the attention from all the humans in area, and they've all formed a crowd in the middle of the road, shouting and screaming abuse at the warlocks.

I arrive at the house from the other side of the road, and I watch in shock as Fiona runs at the warlocks with a weapon in her hand. She is met with a blunt and forceful zap that rolls her across the yard.

"This is our home!" David screams as he picks his wife up off the ground. "It has been our home for twenty years!"

"It isn't your home anymore!" a warlock yells. He stands just in front of the others, and he wears dark clothing that adds eeriness to his beard and small, intimidating eyes.

"You've taken everything from us!" Fiona screams. "And now you force us onto the street? Why are you doing this to us?"

"Because you're on the list," the warlock says. "A car will arrive shortly to take you to the camp."

"No!" David yells.

David, in his absolute determination to avoid that, clenches his fists and runs at the warlock. The warlock merely stands still, unnerved, and casts a spell that brings David crashing down to his knees. It's only then that I notice the two warlocks standing at the bottom of the yard, they're not being evicted, they're being imprisoned. Although the crowd opposes it, they don't dare do anything about it.