Chapter 41

"I can't go in with you," Joey says after he knocks on a dark, wooden door at the end of a candlelit hallway. We're inside a building behind the Summit, a smaller building made of thick, stone walls. Natalia is waiting outside and I really wish she'd just leave all together. "The matters discussed in there can't be repeated by third parties."

"Okay," I say. "What do I do?"

The door slowly opens with no one on the other side. The room is coated in darkness.

"Present yourself," a voice shouts.

"A candidate wishes to join the meeting," Joey says.

"Enter, candidate."

"Good luck," Joey says. "Remember why you're doing this."

I nod. I enter the room and the door slams behind me. I jump, glancing around the pitch-black room. It suddenly becomes normal, with light and presence. The room is a circular room, like a chamber, and in front of me sits five bodies wearing thick, red hoods that sit along a wide, wooden desk. There is a girl here, hardly older than sixteen, and after glancing at me quickly, she turns back to the council.

"What do you mean it's not close enough to manifestation?" she demands. "You saw what I did, I passed your test!"

"You did not pass the test," a man in the middle says. "And you are too inexperienced to perform at the level required."

"That's bull," the girl hisses. "I am more capable of leading the covens than witches double my age. Amara took me under her wing, she coached me. I was like a daughter to her."

"Like a daughter doesn't magically make you worthy of leadership. What's your name?"

The girl is silent, and that's when I realise he's talking to me.

"Theresa Harmon," I say.

Every one of them stands in synchronization. The girl turns and stares at me. It's silent.

"Leave us," the man orders.

"Not got a chance in hell now have I?" the girl growls as she storms towards the door. She pushes into my shoulder, prompting a snarl from me.

"Can you repeat that?" the man asks.

"Theresa Harmon," I say. "It's my name."

He puts out his hand. "Your wrist."

I walk across the room and I turn my arm. They lean over each other to look at it, and they share a look as I pull it back.

"You were presumed dead, Theresa," the man says. He's older than the others, with silver hair and wrinkles underneath his eyes. The two witches to his left begin whispering. "Can you explain how you are alive?"

"Amara lied," I say. "She tried to kill me like she did to my whole coven. I got away. The. . . Slayers saved me."

"Explain."

I sigh. "I'm not here to discuss my past with you. I've been through a lot in the last few months and I have a worthy cause to be here."

"Sure, being a Harmon is a great asset, but being the Elder is more than just belonging to a powerful coven."

"I can manifest."

The warlock chuckles. "I've heard that from a few witches in the last hour."

"I can prove it," I say. "Just give me a test."

He leans back in his seat and glances either side of him. The two witches to his left nod and the two warlocks to his right nod.

"Very well," he says. "Witches have no control over the air, so prove to us you can manipulate it by hovering to the top of the ceiling. We will know if you cast a spell."