Chapter 49

The inner building located behind the stage of the Summit is small and eerie. I feel claustrophobic but I don't know if that's physical or mental. I am dressed in a long, uncomfortable red cloak that almost touches the floor and covers all of my clothing. My hair is tied up in a bun and I shiver every time a small draft leaks through the cave and touches my throat. Erin has been talking for the past few minutes and I haven't listened to a single word. I take a deep breath.

"I'm not late am I?" Natalia bursts through the small door wearing a panicked smile. "Oh, you look so creepy."

"Thanks," I say.

"I hope you take this job more seriously in the future," Erin hisses. "Yes, you are late."

"Traffic," Natalia scoffs, rolling her eyes.

I laugh and Erin glares at me.

"The ceremony is about to begin," she says. "Do you need anything?"

"A shot of vodka?" I say, exchanging grins with Natalia.

"You can't consume alcohol before the-"

"She was joking, kid," Natalia says, patting Erin on the shoulder. Erin straightens and clenches her teeth. "But I've got a few bottles on ice for afterwards."

"I think we'll all need a drink after this," Joey says.

"It's time!" Max appears in the doorway and waves his hand at my advisors. "Let's go."

"Good luck," Erin says.

Natalia just winks at me as she follows her out of the cave.

"I second that," Joey says, placing his hand on my arm. "And remember, even if you don't see them, your coven is by your side."

"Thank you," I whisper.

I wait until the room is clear until I shake my hands and hyperventilate. Maybe I rushed into this too soon---maybe I should postpone the ceremony. What harm could it do? Just a few more days?

Is it worth it? Is changing myself worth it? What if I hurt people instead of helping them? In these final moments, I am filled with doubt. I am second guessing my choice and I am terrified of everything outside of this room. I'm still not ready, but I have to leave now or I don't think I ever will.

I enter through the door and I walk along a narrow, lit hallway that takes me towards a mighty crowd of noise. I arrive at the wall that divides the back areas and the stage, and I hold my breath as I remember when Joey and I teleported here. It was at this very spot that I heard Victoria take her last breath in this world. My heart suddenly aches for my cousin, for all of my cousins that I couldn't save that day. Am I disrespecting their memory by doing this?

"I now call Theresa Harmon to take her place in the light," a voice shouts.

I slowly walk around the wall and the thousands of faces in the seats are merely blurs in the background. I glance to the back wall, I don't mean to, but I can't fight it. I see them all over again. Their cold and lifeless bodies, piled up like garbage. The last time I was on this stage, I had everything to lose even when everything had been lost. I had my coven's legacy to protect, to continue, and that was a burden that I never healed from. But, also, the last time I was on this stage, I took a risk that set the course for the rest of my life.

Sam saved my life that day, he never told me why, but I always suspected it was because he knew Amara wanted me. Maybe that wasn't the reason. Maybe somehow, deep inside, he saw and felt something bigger than I did.

My walk gets slower and slower as I think of him, until I stop altogether. If I do this, I am denying myself the one joy that lights me up with forbidden fire. I can never be close to him again; I will feel the coldness of our distance every second for the rest of my days as Elder. I touch my lips, remembering his kiss. The memory is as raw and as real as the moment we made it.