Chapter 53

I manifest myself into the castle. I feel like an intruder, like an outsider, but the moment I glance around, a tingling sense of nostalgia begins to settle. How could I have forgotten this part of my life so easily? The way I felt here, the way it changed me, the way it smells like a thousand memories I never made.

I hear some noises from the kitchen and I approach it slowly. I see the back of Curtis' curly head and I feel relieved.

"Curtis," I whisper.

He turns abruptly, his hands stretched out with an electric current jumping from his palms. When he realises it's me, he stops it.

"Theresa, you nearly killed me," he gasps. "What are you doing here? Why is your chest bleeding?"

"You're not going to believe it," I say. "Where's the others?"

"I don't know. Out, maybe. The celebrations didn't last long when I told them about the demon."

I stand so still that he starts to panic.

"What is it? Why aren't you wearing the amulet?"

"Because she'll stop me," I say.

"Stop you?"

"You were right, I need to bring an Elder back. I need to bring Vienna back. She's the only one strong enough to save the world from what's coming."

"You're not making any sense."

"It's not the demons, Curtis. It's not what we thought it was. The demons have been trying to warn us, not hurt us. The reason that the Elders want Sam dead so badly is because he's the only Malachi that's ever visited their world. When Sam transports there, he creates a portal of energy that can only be controlled if he's alive. If Sam died then-"

"The portal would remain open," Curtis says. "And the demons would be able to walk the Earth."

"Not just the demons, Curtis. It's not just a portal to their world, it's a gateway to ours. I don't even think Sam is aware of it. The demons are trying to warn us all that something far worse and far scarier is trying to get through. Something that is pulling all of the Elders' strings."

"But why would you need Vienna? You have the amulet, right?"

"I need to bring Vienna back because I'm not going to live long enough to see any of it."

"What?" a voice says.

I turn around and I come face-to-face with Sam, who stands in the middle of the lounge. I bite on my lip and I walk into the room.

"Amara anchored me to an army of Slayers that she's brainwashed into killing you," I say. "You can't kill them, and you can't hurt them, unless you hurt me. Whatever happens to me, happens to them, so I have to die to save your life."

"You can't just burst your way in here and say that you're bringing Vienna back because my life is in danger. Are you crazy?"

"Possibly," I say, walking towards him. "But this is real. It's happening. They're out there, right now, circling the castle. A lot of things are happening right now that are out of my control!" I hold my head in my hands as I fight back tears. "I don't know what's real anymore, but I know that being here, telling you that I was wrong, is the realest thing I've felt in my life. I need you to help me, Sam, because I don't know what to do!"

I collapse to my knees and I break in front of him. I hear Curtis shut the kitchen door and I rock back and forth as the pain takes over. I was so mean to him, I told him that I didn't care, that I had no feelings, but it was Samara. All of it was her. She took him away from me, she took this raw and powerful emotion away and now I have it back, I don't know where it leaves us.