How NOT to Write A Fanfiction

So, your usual program has been interrupted. Sorry. I've wanted to write a lot of fanfics, just haven't had the drive or motivation to write BOOKS. My oneshots, if you want to read them they're on my page, are actually good. But I've read quite a few during the slow years. Some of these can also apply to actual writing. Here is my 101 guide to How NOT to Write A Fanfiction.

Rule #1: Make sure your writing appeals to readers. Always re-read something before you post. Does it flow in a way thats appealing to you? Is the dialogue to choppy? If you can't read it, chances are your readers can't either.

Rule #2: This isn't something you're texting your friend. If you actually want to write serious fanfic, then there's one thing you can't do: use incorrect grammar or spelling and use text speak. I mean, go with Rule 1.

Omg i just find out im a demigod bcuz my mum keeps it from me bcuz im 2 powrfull 4 the gods to deel w/.

"Wear r we goin'?" I asked the suwper hawt guy drivin the cr.

"Cmp Halfbluud."

"O kewl."

Does that really sound like something you'd read or more like something you'd send to your friend in a text while you're drunk?

Rule #3: Make sure you know the characters. OOCS (Out of Character Syndrome) is a deadly disease a lot of fanfic characters possess. I mean, Jason may be a little on the tough side but that doesn't mean he'll be an emotionless, soulless brick. Make sure you know the characters.

Rule #4: Don't put too many characters in. We get that you can't choose a favorite character and you have to just out SOO many in. But, news flash, sorry, you have to pick.

*insert pun on Weeping Angels and Moriarty* ((Also known as the sneak peak to The Worst Wholock Fanfic on Wattpad))
A short Wholock fanfic by _Johnlock5ever_

Once upon a time Doctor Who was traveling with Amy and Rory and OOPS Amy was Scottish and spilled tea all over the console. The TARDIS crashed in the front of 221B Baker Street. People shrugged at the smoking heap of blue and continued walking their poodles.

Jawn and Sherly-Wirly-Pudding-Pie came out to assess the damage. The Doctor, Amy, and Rory climbed out of the wreckage, somehow unharmed.

"Omg ur an alien and ur the Doctor I've hacked into mah bro's files and I know bout you," Sher-lock-and-key said.

"How'd u know that I want a lawyer and fish sticks w/ custard!" Doctor Who yelled.

"I'm psychic- I mean I DEDUCTED IT!"

"SHERLOCK,"  Hedgehog Boy yelled because his only purpose here is to scold Sherlock.

Suddenly River appeared. "Hello, Sweetie." ((Okay...))

Then Moriarty. ((Okay we need a villain...))

Then The Master.... ((Okay maybe he's working with Moriarty))

Then the 10 Doctor and Rose just because ((-_-))

Then Gerald Lestrande and Anderson just so Sheryl can harass them  ((*sighs deeply*))

Then the entire Doctor cast.

And Mrs. Hudson because she was in more than one episode of Sherlock therefore important.

Actually everyone in Sherlock except Mary because Johnlock is a cannon.

Oh and the Supernatural cast but they're not important.

Rule #5: There's a difference between a crossover and vomiting up whatever goes on inside your brain onto Wattpad.

So, omg, this is a Big 54838478281838/8393873837473837483838474833.151592PIE fanfic with The Avengers and Supernatural and Doctor Who and Sherlock and The Guardians of the Galaxy and Jack Frost and Hiccup and a bunch of disney characters and some pJo peeps and one or two Harry Potter characters and Merlin and Torchwood and OUAT and Leverage and The Librarians and Castle and Arrow and The Flash and Batman because I AM BATMAN all based around President Snow and Veronica Roth's book Detergent.

Rule #6: Don't reuse villains. However easy it is to take a previous or current villain from the story and force them to be your villain, DONT DO IT. Just like the Reichbach falls, it'll just cause pain and tears. One of my favorite fanfictions, a SuperWhoLock fanfic, use an original villain that is the cousin of the Vashta Nerada, is possessing Moriarty but is also pitted against the demons.

Rule #7: If your going to use OCs, better make them pretty darn likeable. Despite what most fanfic authors believe, readers don't particularly like OCs. No one wants to hear how you so marvelously save the world as (another) Child of Nephlim. No one cares. So if you really want to use an OC, make us care.

Rule #8: Mary Sues deserve a shot gun. No one is perfect. So if you want to convince me your character is realistic (see Rule 7) then they CANT BE PERFECT.

How many people do YOU meet that go:

So, mah name's TidalWave Martini Piña Colada. I have sunset blonde hair and deep ocean eyes and a perfect tan. I have telekinesis and telepathy and teleportation and hidden powers (of seduction) and I'm soooo powerful and Choas himself created me out of nothing and-

No. You sound like a glitter and sugar drunk Magnus.

Rule #9: Try to steer clear of plot holes. Much like the pot holes in the road, a plot hole will make your story bumpy and hard to understand for the reader. As the famous saying goes: If you put a gun on the first page, it better go off by the third chapter. Otherwise your readers will be stuck wondering why that happened and not focus on the rest of your probably beautiful story.

Rule #10: Have realistic dialogue. People speak casually and fluidly, and even if it is formal it's often not as stiff as people write it. Watch lots of movies and pay attention to conversations you have and slowly your dialogue will get better.

Rule #11: Have fun for Gods' sake. This isn't your English report. Your writing is your own.

That's all, folks.

Kisses, hugs, bow ties, geniuses, swords, spells, salt and poison apples,
Kat Loss, Ninjagirl13!