Chapter 3

Catherine

When we arrived at the front entrance I managed to get my dress stuck in one of my heels and I got separated from Erin.

Again, I am so fancy.

I tried to get it free with one hand while trying to steady myself with the other, while also trying not to flash everyone because of the slit. This resulted in me waving my arm looking like a maniac and literally falling through the door. I was fully prepared for landing on my face, so I was pleasantly surprised when someone caught me before it could get critical. I of course, being as elegant as I am, thanked him by smacking him in the face. By accident, of course.

"I am so sorry!"

"Don't sweat it. I'm a big boy, you know that."

And then I recognized him.

"Joseph?"

"In the flesh," he answered with one of his charming smiles. "I like what you did to your hair. Very wild and spunky," he said, referring to my short red hair.

Joseph and I fooled a little around after high school. It was nothing serious, seeing as he was a little bit engaged..

"How have you been?" I asked him politely.

"Good. My wife is expecting."

"Oh my god, congrats!"

"Thank you. I can't wait to be a father."

"I bet." I smiled and tried to make an exit plan to get away from him.

"What about you? Are you available on the market?" He asked me in a voice that was a little too husky for my liking.

"Not for you," I said, taking a step away from him. "Good to see you, Joseph."

"Right back at ya."

I spotted Erin by the table with the "Hello my name is:________" stickers with an amused smile on her face. I reached her side and stopped dead in my tracks. After some awkward seconds I decided to open my mouth.

"Jack Michaelson. Long time no see."

Not long enough.

I passed by him before he could say anything and grabbed a sticker on the way that I planted carelessly on my right boob.

Jack Michaelson was my first friend when I switched to this school. I developed a crush on him and he became fond of me too, I think. But I was the weirdo of the school, dressed and acted differently than the rest. I think the pressure became too much from the kids around us, because one day he wasn't my friend anymore. Instead he became the reason I dreaded setting foot in here.

Before I knew it I had ended up at the most beautiful and fantastic place for tonight.

The bar.

Thank you, God, for creating the wonderful wonder that is alcohol.

"Yo!" I called the bartender. "Can I get a Long Island ice tea?"

"Um... We only serve wine and beer right now. The cocktails and shots are available after dinner."

"Uuh, you've got shots too? Excellent! Add two tequila shots to the order"

"Miss, I don't think you understand, I-"

"No, there is something you don't understand here. I am in dire need of getting really drunk, really fast. I've already had to endure two encounters with people I really didn't want to meet ever again, so don't make me go through any more of those without some alcohol in my blood to cushion the blow. Alcohol is happiness in a bottle, and anyone who dares to stand in between me and my happiness gets hurt. Bad." I told him with a glare.