Chapter 4

Jack

I woke up with a pounding headache. And no recollection as to how I had gotten it. I remember arriving at the reunion, and Lisa working me like a slave, but then things got blurry. While lying there trying to recall yesterdays events, I felt something move beside me.

Say what?

And then it all came back to me. Catherine and her stupid red hair and that stupid perfect green dress. I had gotten a strange need to take her to bed when I had seen her.

I also could not forget the frown she got on her face when she first saw me.

"Goodbye..."

I was literally knocked out of my thoughts when a hand collided with my face. I did not even think before kicking my attacker down from the bed. 

"Ouch! What you do that for, man?"

"I could ask you the very same thing, Rick" I told my startled mate who was currently rolling around on the floor.

"Last night you said I could crash here!"

"Yeah, I meant on the couch!"

Rick stood up and dusted off his... underwear. And sat down at the foot of the bed.

"Yeah, but I was lonely... and cold." 

"Ew, dude, get off!" I said pushing him down once again. 

I stood up and made my way out to the bathroom, with my dear friends laughter as a soundtrack. 

Catherine

Being woken up by your best friend jumping on you - while being hung-over, is not the best way to be woken up. 

"Fuck you," I mumbled.

"I made pancakes and bacon."

"Love you."

"Haha, I know. Wake up, we have to hit the road soon."

"Urgh, do we have to?" I asked her, rubbing my eyes.

"Yes, we do," she said hitting me with a pillow. "You've got work tomorrow, remember?"

Right, my dad needed me to help him tomorrow at the shop. 

"And by the way, you didn't remove your make-up yesterday," I heard Erin snicker on her way out the door.

I sat up and tried to locate my suitcase. The room's floor was crawling with wine bottles and tequila. I grunted and literally crawled out of bed, opened my suitcase and threw on a big grey sweat-shirt I once "loaned" from a friend. But seriously, it was too small for him anyway. On me, it's a dress.

I pulled my shoulder long hair into a ponytail, and ruined the panda look I was currently rocking. 

I opened the door, and that's when I heard it. 

Sweet lord of all that is holy.

The pancakes was calling my name. Such a sweet sound.

And smell.

I walked into the kitchen, and saw Erin's father sitting at the counter sipping on a cup of coffee while surfing the internet on his laptop.

"Morning, Mr V." I greeted while walking past him to the plate of pancakes that was by now singing my name in full on gospel style.

"Morning Catherine, did you sleep well?"

"Yeah," I answered while dropping a couple of pancakes down on a plate, "but not long enough," I said smiling at him.