Chapter 4

Picture of Leanne ------------------->

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEANNE'S POV

In about an hour I heard a faint knock on the door, I knew it was Ashleigh so I called out come in.  The door swung open easily, it banged softly against the wall as Noah came in, followed by Ashleigh, carrying a tote bag.  She looked like a deer in headlights.

"Hey guys." I said, giving a hug to Ashleigh and then to Noah.  I took the totebag from Ashleigh and set it next to the hospital bed, where Noah had used his good arm to sit up and shift the bed to make it easier to sit up.

"Hey Noah.  Sup?" He said, as Noah walked towards him, and sat down where I had been sitting.  They started to talk when I intervened saying

"Hey, we're going to get lunch.  You want anything, Eli or Noah?" I asked.

Eli said he wanted a Coke and Noah said he was good.  Me and Ashleigh walked down to the first floor, I ended up ordering a salad and Ashleigh got a sub.  Ashleigh bought Eli the Coke and I bought my own stuff.

I sat down at a secluded table in the back corner, where we would be alone to talk about the ghost, who had turned into a poltergeist overnight.

I had taken a few bites of my salad when Ashleigh rushed over and sat down in front of me. 

"Okay, so we have to post pone to investigation to tomorrow night.  But I don't trust my belongings alone with...with THAT." I put emphasis on that.

"Well, what are we going to do?  You told Elijah you weren't going to leave him tonight." Ashleigh said, biting into her sandwich.

"That's right..." I took a bite and chewed thoughtfully.  I snapped my fingers "I'll just send my parents to check in on my place." I picked up my phone from beside my plate.  I dialed their number. "Hey mom, tonight, before you go to bed can you check on my apartment?  Just look around and make sure everything's in place and not out of the ordinary." I paused for a moment while she spoke "Elijah's in the hospital...Yeah.  I won't be home tonight." I paused again.

"Well why can't you just leave Elijah at the hospital?" She asked.

"Because mom." I said.

"Well, why is this any different from any other night that you've left for the night.  Like when you stayed with us for a week?" She asked suspiciously.

"Mom, chill.  I just need you to check in...My neighbor has been nosy lately and I want to make sure he didn't break in or anything." I lied easily. 

"Okay.  I'll check tonight." She said.  I hung up and set the phone down.  "So that's taken care of.  So why do you think the ghost moved downstairs?" I asked.

"I think he knows we're suspicious now.  He wants to make sure we're not going to get rid of him.  So maybe he's trying to get rid of us."  She pointed at herself when she said us, and put emphasis on the word.

"Maybe you're right.  I actually don't want to wait for tomorrow night.  Maybe he'll show up tomorrow.  He did show up in the morning today." I suggested.

"That's right..." Ashleigh said, as she finished off her sandwich.  I had finished most of my salad and had got up to throw it away, but Ashleigh grabbed my sleeve, causing me to sit back down with a thud.

"What Ashleigh?" I said, shifting a little to get comfortable "What if the ghost tries to...you know...kill us?  Or trap us?" She said worridly.

I rolled my eyes. "We'll be fine.  Now we better get this Coke to Eli before he gets mad at us." I help up the Coke bottle.

We got up after I grabbed my phone.  Ashleigh trailed behind me as I tried to remember where Eli's room was.  We finally found it and I walked in. 

"Here you go Eli." I said, opening the Coke and giving it to him.  "So, what'd you guys talk about while we were gone?"

"Guy stuff." Noah said indifferently.

"Okay..." Ashleigh said.  She knew him well enough to know that guy stuff was much more than just 'guy stuff'

"How 'bout you?" Noah asked.

Ashleigh replied in a mocking tone "Girl stuff."

Noah smiled and playfully hit her on the shoulder.  She sat in his lap and leaned onto his shoulder.  "So after Eli gets sent home from the hospital, we plan to go investigate immediately.  Providing Eli feels up to it.  Because if the ghost can attack today, he can attack in the light at a time of his choosing."

"You know, Lee, that's a swell idea you have." Eli said, shifting himself  "but I," He motioned to his leg "Will be in a wheelchair for a while.  You guys are going to have to go up yourselves."

"Oh, Eli, that's right." I said, feeling like an idiot for forgetting that already.  I sat down on the bed and glanced between the 3 of them.  "Well, if only you're sure..."

"I'm sure.  I'll be like this for a while.  I don't want to hold you guys back." Eli said, reaching his hand out.  I grabbed it gently.  Just for support for him...Nothing else.  Okay, maybe 'something else' for him, but support from me.

"Fine." I sighed.  I looked at my phone.  "So it's nine now.  What do you guys want to do...Go to sleep or play a game or what?"

We ended up playing games until eleven.  Ashleigh and Noah fell asleep in the chair.  I was the last asleep.  So I layed a blanket on them, then took one for myself.  I wondered where I should sleep. 

Not the window seat.  Defenatly  not.  I'll probably have nightmares of falling through the window.  There was no more chairs and the floor wasn't an option.  So I shrugged my shoulders and slipped on top of the covers next to Elijah, where I put the blanket over me and closed my eyes.

I felt at home there, sleeping.  If you know what I mean.  I woke up early the next morning to a nurse tapping my angrily on my shoulder.

"What are you doing?" She demanded impateintly. "Visiting hours were over last night at eight o'clock!  You have not only broken that rule, but you have used our hospital bed, when you don't need it!"

I apologized sleepily as I got up, my joints stiff from the night before.  She huffed and left the room as I gently woke up Ashleigh and Noah, who were still in the chair.  Cuddled together.

The nurse came back in, giving me the evil eye as she checked over Noah.  "If you people can leave, I shall put Mr. Elijah in a wheelchair and take him down to the lobby."  She stood up and gave us a cold eye.  It wasn't a question.  I gathered the blankets, put them in the bag, and walked out of the room.

About 10 minutes later Elijah was wheeled out by a thinner nurse who had a cheery smile.  "Here is Mr. Elijah, girls and guy." She said with a wink  "In 2 weeks crutches will be shipped to him.  Keep the same cast.  After using the crutches for a week, bring him back and just sign him in!  Thank you!" She waved and walked away

I volunteered to push Elijah around for a while.  I was afraid to go home, afraid that everything would be torn up and broken.  I shrugged it off and I helped Elijah get in the car.  I quickly folded the wheelchair (YOu know how it folds in half and such) and quickly and carefully put it beside Elijah.  I got in beside Eli and Noah got in the drivers seat.  Ashleigh sat in the passengers seat.

We rushed home, not sure what we were going to find.