Chapter 13

I feel weird, I'm just busting chapters out...it seems like the book will be over soon. =( I can't keep it going on  without adding a whole lot of unneeded, and not to mention, boring action.  I feel bad.

********************************************************

*Ashleigh's POV*

I sat in the waiting room of the ER.  I glanced at the clock on the wall.  He was admitted over three hours ago.  It couldn't have been that serious...Maybe he landed on it wrong, I thought to myself.  I leaned over the arm of my chair and dug through my bag.  I found the book I had put down a few minutes ago to talk to Leanne, who came in and out of the doors that seperated the rooms.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Apparently the way he landed made his leg shatter.  They have to work on getting a stint on his leg, and cleaning up the fragments." She said.  She frowned and walked back into the room.

I flipped through the book until I got to my book mark.  I couldn't focus in on the book.  I had to re-read the chapters again, before I gave up.  I threw my book back into my bag.  I picked it up and walked down to the cafeteria.

"Hi.  What would you like?" The man behind the counter asked, motioning to all the gray, bland food. 

I pointed behind me, "I'm just down here to get water and," I glanced behind me, looking for anything that didn't look too gray, "a salad." I finished, turning back to him. He nodded.

"When you're done just go over their to pay." He dipped his head and turned back into the kitchen.

I turned around and opened the cooler.  I picked up a large bottle of water, and a small salad.  I smiled at the lady as I walked towards her. 

"$6.80." She said blankly, she held out her palm.  I inwardly rolled my eyes.  I looked at the other cashier, who looked at me sympathetically.  I smiled back.  I knew I should of went to her.

I handed her the money.  She snatched it out of my hands, and then slowly gave me the $3.20.  I made a deal of looking at the tips jar, then walking away.  I stole a quick glance back and saw her glowering at me.  I saw the other cashier fighting to contain herself.

I sat in the middle.  Not too many people sitting around at two in the morning in a hospital.  I should of sprung for that coffee.  It smelled so strong, and I was so tired.  I ignored the temptations of falling asleep on the table. 

Soon Leanne came down the stairs.  "How's Elijah?" I asked, suddenly wide awake.

"He's in recoverey." She held up a pill bottle, "although we have to give him pain meds every morning, noon, and night."

"Wow.  I didn't realise it was THAT serious." I said, taking a bite of my salad.  Relishing in the refreshing crunch of tomatoes and lettuce.

"So, Dr. McGowan as so gladly offered to give him a ride home after her shifts over and he's feeling up to travelling," she said, "How nice is that?  We get sleep."

I gave her a thumbs up as I finished off my salad, and took one last drink of water.  I stood up and we walked slowly out the doors of the hospital.

I got in behind the wheel.  I immediatly rolled down all the windows down a little, and turned the radio on loud.

"Why are you doing that?" Leanne asked, starting to lean back in her chair.

"To stay awake." I glanced over at her as I pulled out of the parking lot, "Oh no you don't.  If I have to stay up for another hour for the drive home, so do you."

She groaned as she pulled the chair back up.  We drove in silence, although all the words that needed to be said were said between us.

**The next morning**

*Noah's P.O.V*

I jerked awake as the door opened, Leanne and Ashleigh walked in.  Leanne greeted me and filled me in on Elijah.  Ashleigh, however, stood behind her, glowering at me.  What was her deal? She didn't find out...did she?

I stood up and hugged Leanne good night.  Leanne gladly returned it and walked to her bedroom, glancing back once between Ashleigh and I.

"Ashleigh, what's wrong with you?  You've barely talked to me." I asked.

"I can't believe you.  Why would you do this?  Put us through the torment?" She scoffed.  "You're a better actor than I thought.  What was your motive anyways?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." I said.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about.  You're a murderer.  You're the one who killed Frank Keaton." She said, her voice dripping with bitterness.

I didn't say anything for a while, just looked in her eyes.  "Why does that bother you so much?  He was just someone in the past."

"It bother's me because you're a murderer!" She said the last three words loudly.  She quieted her voice down.  "I've been dating a murderer..." She trailed off, and rubbed her eyes.

"But he was just someone in the past.  You don't even know him." I said, putting my arm out to rest on her shoulders.  She jerked away.

"If he was just a person in the past, why did you murder him?" She asked, she crossed her arms over her chest.

I didn't have an answer that I wanted to tell her just yet, so I just shrugged my arms.

"That's what I thought." She said, she gave me a cold look.  She was starting to break, she couldn't hold back forever.  A smile started to tug at the corners of my mouth.

She stormed past me, purposefully shouldering me.  I smiled, as I sat on the couch.

***********************************************************

Writing this book is so much fun for me.  I myself don't believe in ghosts, so it's fun to make up as I go along how the ghost acts, the effects on the people around it, and how he looks.  I love writing this book :)