Chapter 7: Where Are Your Manners?

unedited but written with love x

---

We sat on a bench right in front of the lake that was Lucas's backyard, the light and noise from the house was in the distance, ever so slightly faded from the now.

While everyone else was in the mansion hooking up or getting drunk, I was spending my cool Friday night on a wooden bench by a lake with someone who I, a little bit ago, had called a stranger.

What I learned so far about him was that his name was Victor Fuentes, but his friends and his brother call him Vic.

And I was wrong about where he came from.

He did not come from Farlene, the other high school in Oakville.

Vic and his brother Mike were from sunny San Diego, California, along with his other two friends that go by Jaime and Tony, they seemed like a quiet pair.

The squad of them were in a band together, and apparently they were pretty good; though Vic wouldn't tell me the name of their band.

Their record label sent them out here so they could finish off their last year of high school together before they had to take their music careers seriously.

And so Vic could write an album. The one that was supposed to, what it sounds like, be their first big step into success- and fame.

By the sound of it, Vic and his friends had their hands full and their futures planned out.

I wish I could say the same for myself.

I stared at the lake and watched the moon reflect itself on the small waves that crashed against the small cliff that stopped the water, our bench right on that little cliff, overlooking the water.

I could feel Vic's eyes searching my face as he asked, "Do you have a boyfriend?"

I let out a little, pathetic laugh.

I then looked up to Vic, meeting his friendly, curious eyes as I answered, "The boys here treat the girls how they treat their cars. Crash one? Not a problem, replaceable. No questions asked. Own two cars? The more the merrier!"

Vic let out a chuckle and I couldn't help but laugh a shaky laugh, glancing down to my lap.

I wasn't used to that. Having people actually find me funny or actually listen to what I say.

"But what about you? Are you seeing any babes from California?" I question earnestly, leaning in on the bench, closer to him as if we are gossiping school girls.

"Girls in California treat the boys like they treat their swimsuits," I stifle laughter as Vic continued with a brilliant smile on his face, "Sand gets in the top? Not an issue, take it off and put another on. Oh no, tanning lotion accidentally stains your bottoms? No big deal just trade them in for a new pair!"

I cover my mouth as I laugh and then finally breath out, "Okay, okay, agreed. Dating sucks and so do other people."

"I guess I'm safe though, you aren't wearing a bikini to stain with tanning lotion," Vic exhales, his genuine smile remaining on his face.

It's like it never left.

"I guess I'm safe, too," I shrug and then look up, raising an eyebrow as I ask, "You don't own two cars, right?"

He shook his head as he let out a chuckle, "Technically, I don't even own one."

He made me laugh so much that it was insane and it shocked me. We joked together like we were old friends, not two teens that had just formally met at some party.