Chapter 4

We took G-Unit’s private plane very late Thursday night. It was just after one a.m. when we landed. We took his black Lamborghini from the airport. 

The sun woke me the next morning. I reached out for Curtis but I was alone. I sat up instantly looking around for him. Noticing my phone had a message I picked it up. It’s a text from Curtis. A smile slowly spreads across my face as it always did. ‘Morning Beautiful. Text when you wake up.’ He makes me feel like a giddy school girl when he calls me Beautiful. ‘Morning CJ Squared the Third. Where did you disappear to?’ I headed for the bathroom taking the phone with me. I turned the shower on while I waited for a response. One never came. 

I went through my morning ritual. Singing a little here and there as I went along. I am standing in the closet, where I found my suitcase, dressing. I’m in the middle of singing Christina Perri. 

I’ll love you for a thousand more

All long I believed I would find you

Time has brought your heart to me 

I have loved you for a thousand years.

“You never said you could sing.” I heard a deep voice come from behind me. I screamed a little and swiftly turned around. My hand flew to my over zealous heart. “Dammit! You scared me half to death.” He smiled and walked over to me. He put his arms around me. “Wow, you’re shaking. I’m sorry I didn’t mean to scare you.” I hugged him back once I collected myself. “Why didn’t you text me back?” “Well I wanted to surprise you.” “Mission accomplished.” I smiled as I pulled back. Curtis returned the smile. “Me and the guys are going out to lunch. You want to come?”

The car ride was filled with silence and sideways glances. Did you have any doubts I was going? We arrived at a nice little Café just outside the city. There aren’t many cars in the parking lot. I’m so nervous when we step out of the car. For some reason I can’t stop fidgeting. I just have this unsettling feeling. 

“You aight?” I looked into his beautiful eyes brown eyes. “Yeah.” “Mykaela.” He said not believing my lie. Curtis grabbed my hand and I sighed. “Well -” I was interrupted. “Fif?” A gorgeous woman walks over and hugs him. “Liv, this is Mykaela, Mykaela this is Olivia.” I remember her from the video for Candy Shop. I offered my hand. She smiled at me knowingly and shook my hand. “So this is the famous Myk I have heard so much about?” I glanced over at him, although it was brief, I swear he blushed. “Please to meet you. I gotta run I just came by for a minute.” She gave Curtis a smile and left. 

I can feel the jealousy rising in me. It always seemed to me in the video they had something going on. “She’s very pretty.” Now he’s grinning at me. “You sound jealous, Myk.” I laugh as if to say ‘yeah right’. “Yo, Curtis get in here.” I look over and see Dre. Curtis looks as it he wants to say something but doesn’t. We walk into the café and walk over to where a table full of some of the best rappers are sitting. I say some because I don’t see Em. “Good to see you again, Myk.” Dre says to me with a smile as he embraces me. “Good to see you too.” I say I as I pull back. Greetings are shared around the table. It feels a little weird to be the only girl at the table.

The waitress came over and took our drink orders. As soon as she disappears Curtis leans over and whispers “So you’re not jealous? Here I thought you liked me just as much as I like you.” Stunned does not even begin to describe my expression. Eminem walks over in that moment.  “Sorry I’m late guys.” He sees my stunned face. He sits down on the opposite side of Curtis. “What I miss.”

Curtis laughs. “I was just telling Myk how much I like her. I don’t think she believes me.” Everyone looks over at me. I instantly become shy. So I take a breath before I respond. Which is long enough for Bizarre to interrupt. “Myk, you are a really attractive woman. What makes you think we all aren’t looking at you out the corner of our eye?” He winked at me. Everyone chuckled.

The waitress sat the drinks down. “You mean other than the bull crap I went through with my ex.” They all nodded in understanding. “I mean I feel so ordinary especially compared to some of the girls he is connected to.” “Maybe you didn’t hear Bizarre. You’re a woman. What do I need with a girl?” Curtis stated. There was a heart beat of silence. “Okay so lets order. WAITRESS!” Bizarre yelled. The waitress never walked away. We all laughed at him. 

Once everyone had their order. Andre, Marshall and Curtis began talking about business.

“Have you had a chance to listen to the beat I sent to you?” Dre inquired. They both nodded in response. Curtis said they already wrote the song. Marshall was talking about who to get to sing the chorus. “Well Myk can sing it.” I dropped my fork on my plate. All eyes were back to me. “I’m sorry do what now?” Andre laughed at my response. “I don’t think she agrees.” Curtis gave me this ‘just sing a little something’ look.

I looked around at everyone nervously. I took a very deep breath. I sat straight up in my seat and gave it all I had. 

‘What you don’t understand is I’ll catch a grenade for you

Throw my hand on a blade for you

Jump in front of a train for you 

You know I’ll die for you baby

But you wont do the same.’

I took a breath and waited for someone to say something. Finally Kon Artist broke the silence. “Damn, that was hot. Have you ever sung in front of anyone? “Not since my Dad died when I was eight. So…” I trialed off. “Oh yeah, she should sing the chorus on this song.” Marshall stated like he had just struck oil. He checked his watch. “Bring her in with you tomorrow. I got to go.” Everyone suddenly noticed the time and dispersed.