Chapter 9||The Devil's Call

Evie's POV

Let me tell you something.

Walking out next to the guy that most girls want is not the best idea in the world. Most of them looked like they wanted to tear me into shreds, gouge my eyes out and feed me to some weird tiger lurking in their backyards- and not necessarily in that order. Their eyes popped out as I spontaneously read their internal thoughts...

Who the fuck is that girl?

Wait...she's wearing clothes from Walmart?

Mmmm...lunch is coming up soon. Then the girl licked some drool off her chin.

Ok. Maybe not the last one.

For the first time in my high school life, I didn't have to push through waves of body odour and cheap perfume, they parted to each side of the hall staring at the unlikely couple that walked past them.

Zach had obviously been in this situation before because he just gave his swoon-worthy smile and tugged my hand harshly, making me trip ungraciously over my left foot. I managed to pick myself up before I became the next viral comedian and followed Zach; however, it seemed impossible because each one of his steps were a couple of mine. Soon, I was galloping.

So imagine me, as a horse and Zach pulling me along. It would be easier if I could run, then Zach could ride me.

(*author bangs head against wall many, many times* Evie gives an apologetic smile
"Sorry guys")

By the time we reached the cafeteria for our break, I was exhausted. I spotted Chloe in the corner and waddled up to her. She gave me her trademark smirk, winked at me suggestively and sat down. Zach and Max soon followed suite and I took the remaining chair.

We all stared at each other briefly (and awkwardly) before I got my phone out and checked my Wattpad.

You need to update The Break Up Helpline, Savvy! I thought helplessly and switched my phone off.

"Evie, could I have your number?" Zach blurted out.

Shitty schnitzels.

"I don't know my phone number, sorry." I answered. Praying that some god would hear my prayer.

"Do you have it Chloe?" Zach persisted.

"No."

"Why not? Aren't you best friends?"

"Her sim card is crap. She's saving up for another one." She replied, with a classic Chloe tone. Max looked slightly unsure, but kept his mouth closed.

"Oh."

"Yeah."

Zach quickly went onto a worse topic.

"Max, did I tell you, a couple of days ago this chick texted me her bra."

"Sweet! What did you do?"

"I texted her back. Look at our conversation. She's as sharp as a knife."

I actually froze. I felt like I had grown roots into the chair I was sitting in. A look of dismay flashed across Chloe's face. Suddenly, I felt a small buzz in my pocket. Luckily, Max and Zach were too wrapped up in out conversation to notice.

C: LET ME DO THE TALKING OK?

E: K.

I casually put my phone away.

"She kicked your ass with her comebacks. I want to meet this girl."

"Why don't I call her number?"

Max gave Zach a cheeky smile.

He pressed call.

My phone started buzzing. Chloe started buzzing too. Then she wrenched me up and whispered 'pretend to be a bee.' I didn't have time to argue. I started flapping my arms and buzzing as loudly as I could.

"What are you two doing?" Max asked incredulously.

"Acting like bees. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz." Chloe replied, as if it was a completely normal and civil thing to do.

Zach hung up from his call, and turned around, looking genuinely disappointed.

"It was someone round here. I heard it."

"Well at least it narrows it down, mate." Max replied.

"You two need to get some medication for your behaviour." He added.

Chloe flashed a conspirators grin.

They picked up their bags and left.

"Catch you at lunchtime Evie, ok? And you to Chloe." Zach hollowed from halfway across the dining area.

I nodded vigorously and watched them leave the cafeteria.

Then I rested my head on the table.

That was even closer than before.

I deserved a nap.

***

Helllloooooooooooooo.

I'M ALIVE ANDD MY BDAAAYYY IS COMING SOON.

YAASSSSS BITCHHESSSSS HALLOOOWWEEEN IIISSS MMMYYYY BBBDDDAAYYY.

:)

Smiles and peace,

Charlie xoxo