Whatever You Think, You Are Not Hopeless. Here's Why:

Written by Langston. November 9, 2013.

So a while back, I was opening my Bible. In my thoughts, I asked God to show me what He wanted me to read. The response was very faint, but I felt it was Isaiah 8 and 9. So, I read through Isaiah 8 which was pretty good. Then I got to verse 9, which is what dramatically changed my perspective of the Christian life.

For You have shattered their oppressive yoke
and the rod on their shoulders,
the staff of their oppressor,
just as You did on the day of Midian. -Isaiah 9:4

Okay ... so what? God removed the burden of some random people. What's so great about that? Well, let's take a look about at exactly who this chapter is talking about. But, before I give my interpretation, make sure you plan to read this whole chapter for yourself in order double-check what I'm saying, and also to let God talk to you personally as you read it. Don't just rely on my words. Rely on His. Check out all of Isaiah 9

Now back to my interpretation. From what God showed me, the passage here is talking about Jesus. Isaiah was prophesying about the coming of Christ--how God's people will be redeemed and brought back to life when Jesus came and redeemed His people. Every verse in this passage applies to God's people, today.

Romans 8:15-16 NLT says: So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God's Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, "Abba, Father." For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God's children. Therefore, we are God's people too! Even more, we're His children. Not only are we co-heirs with Jesus (Romans 8:17), His ambassadors (2 Corinthians 5:10), and His friends (John 15:15), but we're also God's children! We hear this all the time, but do you ever sit for a moment and let that sink in? I mean the God who created the beautiful, massive, overwhelming world we live in calls you His child! He calls you His child in the same way the dad helping his daughter learn to ride a bike calls her his daughter, or a mother asleep with her baby boy in her arms calls him her son. The same image and feelings that invade those parents when they think of their children is how God Almighty feels when He thinks of you!

If you're still not really getting this, you need to watch this video: . I have it included in the space to the right if you're reading via website; if you're reading via email just click on the video's name [and if you're reading on Wattpad, the YouTube video is in the sidebar... or wherever YouTube videos are located. xD] To truly understand and revel in God's love for you, you have to realize where you are and where He is. He is so much bigger than us in every way - all creation screams it. Yet He still loves us! paints in motion what I'm trying to say through written word.

Alright, so Isaiah 9 is talking about Jesus, God loves us, and we're His children. So what? Read the verse again.

For You have shattered their oppressive yoke
and the rod on their shoulders,
the staff of their oppressor,
just as You did on the day of Midian. -Isaiah 4:9

As I said before, this verse prophesying about people--God's people--living in the time of the Messiah and beyond. We are His children, and we are living in the time of Jesus (the last days, as the apostles and prophets called it) so this verse is speaking directly to us!

"For You have shattered their oppressive yoke ... "

One of the definitions for "yoke" is:

So the phrase "oppressive yoke" relates to anything that is or has been a burden to you in your spiritual life. For example, some "oppressive yokes" for me have been fear, guilt, anxiousness, lust, self-consciousness, doubt, pride and timidity.