Chapter 3: "Don't have your pretty boy to protect you now huh?"

"Need help?" Justin grins as I head to the usual spot I dig.

"Nope. I've gotten better at it!" I say excitedly, feeling so proud of myself.

"Oh, really?" Justin raises his eyebrows, his arms crossed.

I nod confidently.

"Go on," he encourages.

Holding the shovel firmly in my hand, I go for the dig. The shovel goes half way in the ground and I gradually bring it up, along with a small pile of dirt.

"See." I smile at Justin.

He laughs. "You're so cute."

I pout my lips. "What? I did good."

"Of course you did, babe." He snickers, walking a few meters away with his shovel.

I watch as he swings the whole shovel head into the dirt and brings up a ginormous amount of dirt.

I stand there, shocked, as he dumps the dirt a few feet away and looks at me. At the sight of my face, he smirks.

I roll my eyes. "Whatever."

He simply shrugs before continuing to dig up huge piles of dirt.

I get on with mine. I try to completely focus on my hole. I'm going to beat Justin to wipe that annoying smirk he had off his face.

Hurriedly, I dig as fast as I can.

Although Justin's digs are bigger and take less energy from him, he's slow. Obviously not knowing I'm secretly racing with him.

I keep digging, and digging, and digging.

When I measure the hole using my shovel and it is the right length, I look excitedly over to Justin's hole, to see where he's up to. He's also measuring his.

My eyes widen and I quickly run to the pile of shovels and drop mine in it as Justin walks over. I jolt to the door, opening it and running into the CC.

I dump myself on the couch, my breathing fast, and my palms sweaty. A few seconds later, Justin walks in. He comes over and sits down, giving me an odd look.

"What was all that about?" he asks, referring to my quickness.

I smile at him. "I bet you."

Realising what I mean, he grins while rolling his eyes. "Really, babe? That's stupid."

"You just think that 'cause I won." I poke my tongue at him.

He laughs. "Maybe if you told me we were in a competition."

I shake my head. "No, 'cause then you would've bet me."

He laughs again, causing me to laugh too. "I'll beat you next time." He winks.

"No," I grumble. "I don't want to go again, because you'll definitely win."

"Aww please, babe." He gives me puppy dog eyes. Adorable as fuck.

I sigh. "Fine, whatever makes you happy."

He caresses my cheek with his thumb.

"You make me happy." He murmurs.

I look away, not wanting him to know I'm blushing. "Shut up," I mumble.

He tilts my chin so I'm looking at him again. "I'm serious," he says. "I haven't smiled so much the whole time I've been here than I have since you've been here."

I bite my lip, feeling butterflies in my stomach.

"Why do you do that, babe?" Justin asks.

"Do what?" I raise an eyebrow.