Chapter 27: "He wouldn't leave me like that!"

JUSTIN'S P.O.V

Putting on a smile isn't the easiest thing to do. Not when you don't want to. Not when it's fake. But I do it because despite what I want to believe, it's necessary. I'm the reason the people around me are not happy. And it's selfish of me to bring them down because of my own problems, my own mistakes. If I can just act like everything's fine and I'm okay, everything will be fine. At least to them it will, for you can hide an entirely different person behind a mask.

This prison... Everyone's in it for their own reasons. They have their own troubles and their own mistakes. Who do I think I am to disrupt them with my own issues?

And Kat...

Kat.

I can't keep tearing her apart like this. She doesn't want things between us to change, although I've repeatedly told her how it'd be better for her if they did. But she is persistent and can pull me back after any attempts of leaving. If it's not for me, my smile is for her. To keep her happy. Because she deserves the world, and I feel like complete shit for not giving it to her.

At dinner Kat and I eat alone. For no specific reason. Sometimes a couple just need those moments.

"I'll wait for you out there while you do the dishes," she says, cocking her head towards the door to the CC as she continues to eat.

"You really don't have to, babe."

She places her spoon down. "Oh, thank god. I thought it was necessary. Phew."

I grin at her sarcasm. "Very funny."

"I want to, Justin. It's no different to me waiting in our cell."

"You shouldn't be waiting at all. Just go to our cell, get in bed and go to sleep," I say.

"Fine." She smirks.

I stare at her out of the corner of my eyes. "You're not going to, are you?"

Her hands raise. "Hey, we'll see. We'll see."

I look back at my food, mixing it around with my spoon. "You're so not going to."

I smile at the sound of her giggle.

The bell goes on time and we stand up.

"I'll see you in the cell, where you'll be fast asleep," I say, hugging Kat tightly.

"Go do the dishes," she shoots back, laughing.

"Bye," I add with a kiss before turning for the back room.

When I'm in there, working on the stacked up dishes that had been brought in by guards, I set my mind on the Chief. Not in the usual negative way. No. Today, right now, I'm gonna try and see it with a clearer head.

He's a man with a job. A rude man using his job to be nasty to others.

Okay, that's not helping.

I think more...racking my brain for something else half decent to think about him. Maybe without turning it around negatively this time. But I can't, because despite all this man has done to me, I still don't know a thing about him. Surely that's not fair.

How can this fight be going on when he has so much on me and I don't even know his first name? But I guess, this isn't some game to him. No rules, no teams. He's just out to get me.

And I have no clue why.

That's what scares me the most.

After half an hour I finish up and make my way to the door. As soon as I open it I'm met by loud shouts coming from the CC. It's definitely the Chief. But who's he yelling at? Must be Kat, who I knew would wait for me out there.