Chapter 28: "This isn't the Justin I love."

KAT'S P.O.V

Late nights and early mornings are not the best mix. Especially when you have so much on your mind and so many emotions wanting to arise that you can hardly think straight.

It's not just a simple lie that Justin told me all those months ago. There's a big difference between a car accident and what he did. But the whole incident was serious and I wasn't going to make it even more difficult by bringing my own problems into it.

Now that Justin's told me the true story of his past, I am putting some pieces together. After he told me what happened, memories came racing back. When I was told of how he bashed up a prisoner for saying he'd go to hell with the rest of the gays... When I told him my friend Matthew was gay and his face lit up. When I asked him about his own friends and he went silent. It all makes sense now. It all fits together.

Of course I feel the deepest sympathy for Justin. From the bottom of my heart. No one should have to deal with what he and Michael dealt with. It would be a nightmare no one could forget. But somewhere, underneath my pity and sorrow, I feel betrayed. After all, he told me the biggest lie about something so important.

Explanations are harder than any task the Chief has for us. What went down last night was between Justin, me and Spuckler. No one else has a clue. And that makes breakfast more awkward then I'd like.

"Hey guys!" Chris smiles, striking his hand in the air as Justin and I make our way over to the table with our trays.

As we sit, I look at Justin. He looks miserable and his eyes still look red from tears. The vibe we bring doesn't go unnoticed.

"Shit, what's wrong?" Sebastian asks instantly after seeing Justin.

Not knowing what to say, I simply look back at Justin who's staring down at his cereal. It would've been hell for Justin to explain the painful past to me. Is he expected to do it all again the very next day? No. But is lying in the question? Do we lie to them? What lie could cover up for a full night of crying though?

"I don't think we should talk about it," I answer Sebastian, my voice slightly croaky.

The boys exchange worrying looks and I urge to give them the main idea, but I can't. I don't think they know the story as to why Justin's in here. But I don't know if he lied to them as well...

Knowing Justin won't talk but having hope that I will, the four move their eyes onto me. Invisible questions are being asked from each of them but their lips don't move. They just look at me with curious and frantic expressions. Then Brad mouths the word 'Spuckler?' to me, wondering if he's the reason for Justin's mood.

'Kind of,' I mouth back.

Five minutes go by, filled with measly conversation starters. I don't bother trying to get Justin to talk because I know there's no chance he'll act okay after last night. After all the boys' attempts have failed, they give up and breakfast continues on in dull silence.

When the bell finally does go, Justin straight away heads for the backroom. Chris, Sebastian, Brad and Blake surround me in a rush. Overwhelmed by it, I stand still with large eyes.

"Okay, tell us now," Chris says.

I blink rapidly in confusion to everything. "What?"

"Justin's gone to clean so you can tell us now," he explains, nodding towards the back room where Justin would currently be running water.

Understanding them all now, I shake my head. "No, I can't."

Their interested faces drop in unexpected disappointment. "I know you said we shouldn't talk about it before," Brad says, "but I thought that was just because Justin was there."