Chapter 14: "He can't breathe! Let him go!"

"Goodnight, Kat. Have a pleasant sleep." Adrian hugs Kat and my blood boils as I tear the two apart.

"Okay, Kat. Let's go." I pull her away as she turns around.

"Goodnight, Adrian." She waves back at him as we enter our cell.

"You don't like Adrian, do you?"

What was your first clue?

Shrugging, I climb the ladder to my bed and flop down on it. "I don't mind him." I lie.

"Right," she says, unconvinced.

Getting under my blanket, I feel distant. Although I'm right above Kat, I feel like we're thousands of miles apart.

I've been sleeping in her bed for weeks now and I hadn't even noticed I had climbed my own bed. It's like my brain forgot I had her.

She talked to Adrian the whole night, laughing and smiling a lot. Who the hell does he think he is?

Kat's mine. Not his.

* * *

After a long and tiresome breakfast of listening to Adrian compliment Kat and Kat laughing at his 'funny' stories, we go outside to be given a new task.

The Chief is out there, doing his usual mocking smirk at us.

There's nothing around to give a hint of what we're doing. There's nothing at all.

"I thought you could all learn to defend yourselves and learn a few moves." The Chief grins, showing off his yellow, ratty teeth.

"We're supposed to learn how to fight? Really?" I spit.

"It's probably not the best task since it's giving you new ways of attacking, Justin, but that's the way it is." He smiles.

I glare at him, my nostrils flaring. I don't even notice I've dug my nails into the palm of my hand until the Chief talks again and I see a big red mark in my hand.

Usually I have Kat to help calm me down and let me hold her hand. But she wasn't even listening. Just laughing away to some bullcrap Adrian said.

"So you will partner up and tackle each other. Except for you, Kat." The Chief continues.

Kat looks up at mention of her name.

"You can go with Adrian and tickle each other."

"Tickle each other? What the hell is this?" I mumble, trying to hide my annoyance that she's partners with Adrian and not me.

But Kat and Adrian seem to think it's a great idea.

"You're going down." Kat glares at Adrian, a playful smile on her face.

He laughs. "Wanna bet?"

"Now, who wants to go with Justin?" the Chief asks.

Suddenly everyone steps back or looks at the ground. I understand when I hear my own breathing, loud and agitated. My fists are by my side and I've got death on my mind.

Everybody must know how I feel about Adrian and Kat tickling each other and wouldn't like to be partners with me for fighting.

In the end, Spuckler volunteers the bathroom guy for me.

Perfect.

We all spread out with our partners and when the Chief says to start, I tackle bathroom guy to the ground, allowing myself to let out my anger on him.

As I pummel his face, I hear no other guys fighting.

Then I realise they're all standing around awkwardly, obviously not wanting to fight with their friends and risk getting injured.