Chapter 22: "I'm gonna try and be happy for you."

KAT'S P.O.V

In goes the shovel, out comes the dirt... In goes the shovel, out comes the dirt... Yep, back to digging pointless holes.

It's been months since Justin and I gave up our happy act. Can't say I'm gonna miss it. Chief Spuckler hasn't given us such a hard time as he did when our plan took action.

We're back to normal. Us glaring at the Chief, arguing with his unfair orders... And for Justin, spitting out insults to his face.

We're still ordered to clean the dishes and whatever task all the prisoners are to complete are always made just that bit harder for either me, Justin, or sometimes both of us.

Unfortunately, although Justin and I have our privacy, our shared cell, our kissing...the package also comes with Spuckler continuing on with his awful reminders about Justin's crime. And as it used to, it affects him badly.

As for the whole Sebastian-kissing-bad-at-lying incident, it's passed us now. Justin didn't find out and Sebastian and I moved on. Thank god.

"Kat, let's go."

I snap out of my thoughts, whisking my hair behind my shoulders, noticing that the morning bell has rung and the horde of prisoners have began exiting the meal room.

Justin smiles as I knit my fingers through his and walk with him to the door.

Outside, the boys have formed a gathering in front of the Chief as he stands there, with his usual display of a taunting smirk and hands clasped behind back.

"For a change, today you will all be having a break from seeing the walls of Camp Osway."

I wait in anticipation for his explanation.

"You will all be escorted to a bus that is waiting out the front and will be driven to a local park where you are to pick up any litter you see."

Justin's grip on my hand tightens ever so slightly and we give each other an excited grin. We could be picking up dog crap for all I care. Just the fact that we get to go to a park for a change is thrilling!

After a slow and careful procedure, everyone mounts onto an awaiting bus, guards making sure we don't try to escape.

A gust of schoolgirl feelings hits me and I feel almost giddy with wonder.

Choosing any pair of seats, I pick two on the left side and scramble in. Watching Justin as he follows, the sound of perky and excited chatter floats through the vehicle.

Everybody must be looking forward to a change of scenery and what a good one! The park.

I'm not even sure where Camp Osway is, to be honest. So I've no clue as to what type of park this is. All I know is I'm going to enjoy this, no matter what tricks Spuckler may have up his sleeves.

Speak of the devil...

"Attention!" he yells over the loudness of the bus' enthusiastic passengers. The sound dies down, allowing the Chief to continue.

"Any misbehaving on the bus and you'll be doing dishes for a week," he informs.

As Justin and I exchange knowing glances, topped with smirks, we hear a familiar voice pass us.

"What, giving Justin and Kat a break!?" Blake says.

Annoyance spreads feverishly across Chief Spuckler's face. "Do not interrupt!" he shouts.

I giggle.

"The person you are seated with will be your partner for this trip. You must stay with each other at all times. There will be guards around to make sure you do what you are told."