The Trials of Training

Cutie's P.O.V

I hope battle training will be funner this time. Unlike last time...Cutie reflected on when her sister, Sugar, unfortunately became blinded in her left eye. Not looking where she was going as she prowled after her father who was leading her to train, she glanced around side to side, then suddenly a twig whipped in her face. Finally after awhile Malice, Spice, Sugar, and Cutie stopped in a vast, damp, mossy clearing.

"Alright. Here we are, everyone! Malice rumbled, addressing his kits,"It's training time. Now, I want all of you, and I mean all of you on your best behavior." Briefly he glared with his blazing, fire like eyes at Cutie. He must be thinking about what happened when I stood up for Sugar." I want every single one of you learning today, for someday you may encounter enemies. Do any of you know any enemies? What's an enemy...? Ugh, I wish I was as smart as Malice... I'm only a kit...

"Um... a uh... bee? They seem mean." Spice mewed, puffing out his chest proudly as usual.

Ugh, I can't think of anything... "Um... once I stepped on a pine needle and it hurt... Is that an enemy?" Dumbly Cutie stuttered, not knowing what an enemy really was. Malice seemed to be sighing with exasperation or rolling his eyes at his kit's responses.

Sugar blankly mewed in the slightest, quietest voice,"Uh-um- I dunno..."

"You don't know?!" Malice hissed strictly, threateningly bristling his pelt like spines on a hedgehog."Don't you kits know anything? Enemies are things that can kill you or severely hurt you. Not bumblebees or pine needles! Enemies are things like badgers, foxes, hawks, eagles, owls, and more. See? This is why you need my battle techniques to survive and thrive out here in the forest."

Sugar's lips quivered as she squeaked adorably in fright."I-I'm sorry, Daddy!"

"Sorry," Spice and Cutie grunted in unison.

"Well, you guys should be. Now, to training. Since obviously you need my help, I shall demonstrate some elite combat techniques that will practically always ensure and guarantee triumph in battle. Now, watch me, and pretend that this stick," Malice meowed, gesturing his lengthy, velutinous tail over to a thick stick about the width of a mouse tail.

His brawny, robust muscles rippling in his legs he lurched heavily, his vole-sized paws outstretching and impaling the small yet mouse-thick branch like it was a teensy, tiny twig. Splintering wood shot up and dust flew into the air as his paws skidded as Malice landed with swift expertise. Wow... Cutie marveled as she stared up at her father as he sneered, boastfully beaming. He's so strong and good at leaping! Spice appeared even more impressed than Cutie. His eyes were gleaming with ambition for battle and his tail was perked up with interest. Unlike Spice and Cutie, Sugar was hunched down with fear glistening in her magnificently blue eye that wasn't blind. Her pelt was bristling making her look like a puffy dandelion as she gazed with pure anxiety.

Afterwards, Malice gathered some thickish, moderately lengthy twigs, one for each kit."I want all of you three to try."

Sugar gazed slowly at the twig, doubtfulness and discouragement throbbing in her sapphire, light blue eyes. Then as she vaulted, her front, left paw wrenched on the ground and she staggered blindly, her glazed, blind eye failing her. Dust clouded around Sugar and she stumbled, colliding her chin heavily on the twig and snapping it halfway from the impact. "Owww..." Sugar groaned in horrid pain.

"Weak! Weak! Weak! Weak! And weak! Oh, Sugar, can't you at least touch the twig? Watch Spice, he might do better than this." Spice propelled up, lunging and toppling onto the twig, snapping it, causing some wood to splinter from his sharp, glinting claws. "Excellent! Malice praised with a purr that was rather rusty from not being used frequently. Now that's how you pounce."

Sneering, Spice lifted his head, his notoriously ominous fangs appearing in his smirk."Top that, kitty!" Brushing past Cutie aggressively, Spice engulfed into the shadows on the other side of the clearing. I'll show him that I'm not a little kitty! Impudently glaring at the twig Cutie slunk into a crouch, partially revealing her claws for maximum impact on the twig. Then tensing her muscles and bunching her shoulders, her hind legs pummeled onto the ground, launching her up. Then as her claws completely unsheathed in midair, she demolished the log, dust and specs of wood flying around rapidly. Skidding on her paws she landed, shaking the dust from her pelt.

"How'd I do?!" Cutie purred, bouncing on her paws.

Malice was sitting, chatting fondly with his son, Spice. They seemed to be having a great time. "Mhmm, sure, whatever you did okay, Cutie. Maybe you should take some advice from Spice or somethin' I don't know," distractedly Malice replied. B-but I thought I did good...

Sugar ambled up, gazing up at Cutie with her lifeless, blank blind eye and her sky-blue eye with gorgeous, fathomless beauty. "I think you did awesome! You're just so strong. I wish I was like you..." Sugar murmured, trailing off, "I'm so weak with my blind eye... Oh, I'll never impress Daddy!" Cutie was touched with overwhelming protection and love for her sister. She obviously needs guidance...

"Oh Sugar, you can't make everyone happy, but just always remember, you impress me no matter what you do. I'm sure you'll become a great cat someday."

"You really think I will...?"

"Of course, my sister, you really will," warmly, Cutie smiled with a purr as she nuzzled her sister.

"Thanks, you truly are the best sister ever."