A Mystifying Figure

Shivering, Hawk opened her eyes to see the beginnings of frost laden on every single plant. It draped the trees with hardly any leafs or trees without leafs at all. It also crystallized all of the shrubs and bushes, along with forming a shiny, pure white blanket onto the dying grass and crunchy rotten leaves. Her tawny brown and jet-black swirled fur bristled up in an effort to warm herself against the chilly wind that seemed to grip her skin. Her family's breath came out in billows of tiny white puffy clouds as the cloudy, gloomy morning sky cast depressing shadows on the clearing. Her 16 moon old sister, Sugar, had a white pelt with tremendous fluffiness that blended in exceptionally with the beautiful yet frigid frost.

"Hey, Hawk, Malice wants us to go hunt." Sugar meowed to her sister.

"Hmmph. As if any prey would be out here in this frosty wasteland!" Grumpily, Hawk hissed like an angered snake.

"Listen, Hawk, I understand that you miss Spice. I myself miss him so much..." Sugar's voice cracked slightly,"But we need to remember him by pursuing his love on hunting. He would like us to grow up into strong cats like he was before he passed away..."

"I know, but I feel like Father will never like me... He still think it's my fault that Spice died." The young, usually vibrant brown tabby's ears drooped with discouragement and frustration.

"I'll never think that it's your fault for Spice dying. You're not like that and you would never do that. I trust in you, my sister, you must understand that. Remember all of the times that you've comforted me? Now it will not just be you comforting me, but me comforting you."

"Thank you, you're the best sister any cat could ask for..." Hawk slightly smiled, nuzzling her sister gently.

"You're welcome. Now let's go on that patrol."

The two cats trotted around the crystallized forest, the frigid breeze making their lengthy, glossy fur ripple in the wind. Hardly anything stirred from a single, tiny fly to a huge deer. The frost blanketed every single thing, from new blades of grass to hardy oak trees. As Hawk gazed up at the cloudy, gloomy sky she noticed a small, tiny snowflake fluttering down like a graceful butterfly. Then more, and more, and more snowflakes flew down, dancing around the morning sky. Entranced by the only beautiful thing that Hawk saw since her brother died, she just stood there, admiring the beautiful snow. I love the snow...

"Hey Hawk! Look over here!" Sugar called loudly.

"Wha-"

A bundle of snow splattered on Hawk's face with a plop.

"Gotcha!" Sugar chuckled, her aquamarine good eye gleaming with mischief and cheerful humor.

Smiling, Hawk molded a ball of snow and frost with her humongous fore paws and slung it swiftly at her sister's shoulder. "Incoming!" Chuckling, Hawk smiled as the snowball splatted onto her sister.

Squealing, Sugar lunged playfully into Hawk's side, barreling her into a mound of snow. Hawk pummeled her muscular legs against Sugar's stomach, gently kicking her off. Purring, Sugar swatted at Hawk's ears and here whiskers with a slight chuckle. "Spice would've loved this snow..." Hawk murmured sadly, here auburn eyes clouding with melancholy.

"He really would've. He was always such a vivacious cat."

Shaking her head to clear her mind from such sadness, Hawk commented,"We better start hunting. Father will kill us if we don't bring back any prey!"