As Sly as a Fox

It seemed like she just couldn't sleep. No matter how much Hawk tried, she kept thinking of that mysterious cat! Sighing with exasperation, Hawk placed her rounded head with a pointed muzzle onto her thick, fluffy tan paws. It was even earlier than the crack of dawn, and not a single creature made any noise whatsoever. A faint outline of the moon still laid in the gloomy, blue, emotionless sky. Hawks thoughts wandered and sauntered around her head from here to there. I need to do something to get to sleep... Or at least to stop thinking about that pesky rogue! Hmm...What can I do? What if I could venture out when nobody's awake...Even if they do wake up when I'm not here, they may just think I went to hunt early or something. Maybe it's worth a try? Gazing intently into the frosting, dense vegetation of her beloved forest. Well... Here goes nothing... Tentatively crouching and gingerly placing her paws, Hawk bounded out into the dim, dusky forest beyond her camp.

As she padded and trotted on, Hawk's confidence simply shrank. What if this wasn't a good idea? Oh, Malice will probably be so angry at me! I hope Sweetie won't be disappointed... And hopefully Sugar will understand. Hawk's expression frowned into a grimace of not only determination for going on, but also frustration for her negative thoughts. I should probably catch something so no one will be too suspicious... Perking and palpitated her ears to detect and listen for any prey. Her tan jaw descended to taste the air for any scent or clue of prey. For a few seconds, Hawk closed here eyes, relishing the forest which was one of the only places where she ever felt at peace. The fresh, energizing scent of vegetation along with the crisp, chilly feel of the frost forming on the branches of the canopies of trees and the foliage. Lightly she smiled, even emitting a small, brief purr of happiness. Oh how I love the forest! Then suddenly, Hawk heard a rustle of what sounded like rotten leaves brushing against each other. Rapidly pivoting her head in the direction, her pink nostrils flared and twitched, noticing the scent of what seemed to be a rabbit. She instinctively lowered into a crouch. Hawk noticed the rear end of the rabbit and its tail twitching beyond the cover of the leaves. Gliding inch by inch, Hawk deftly reached a place about a fox-length away from the plump, hefty rabbit. Then, after tensing her muscles, she lunged, barreling over and wrestling the rabbit by vanquishing it with a snap to the neck with her serrated, lengthy teeth. She relished the oozing blood of the rabbit, for she had hardly had anything to eat compared to her family due to Malice's hatred.

Then suddenly she heard a violent rustle of leaves, this time much more loud than that of the rabbit. Her veins turned to ice. Her heart pounded faster than the fastest of rabbits. Her blood in her ears roared and surged with fear. I'm going to die...

Mustering up all of the courage she had, she meowed out,"Who are you! Show yourself! If you're willing to fight." Despite her effort to sound and seem courageous and strong, Hawk's legs were shaking and her voice was heavily trembling. Her brown tabby fur with black stripes rippled and bristled uncomfortably on her spine.

"Who am I? Who am I? Kit, I am your worst nightmare," the jeering, sinister of the cat voice cackled after meowing in a challenging tone.

"W-Well, if you think you're so frightening, w-why don't you just show yourself!" Hawk blurted out, stuttering. Fox-dung. Maybe I shouldn't have said that... Hawk's expression twisted into a frown as she thought about what she said.

"Oh really? Is that a challenge, little kit? Then I accept it!" Suddenly a slight rustle of undergrowth sounded behind her. She gazed in awe as she saw the cat.

The cat was surprisingly only about her age; maybe a moon or 2 more, but still. She had wide, incredibly muscular shoulders and a pointed muzzle that was fox-like. She had a sly, deviously fox-like glint in her eyes that was heavily swirled with wisdom in its depths. Her eyes were captivating, and her fur was a light tawny brown with the same color for her underbelly and slightly darker brown patches that mottled her whole body.