Keeping A Secret...Secret

Sighing, Hawk quietly strolled in the forest that was emitting splendor and new life with the new-leaf breeze swishing through the branches with her sister, Sugar, next to her. A few of the trees had soft, magnificent blossoms budding from the trees. Some were white, light pink, or dark pink. They swirled and twirled down here and there onto the fresh, vibrant green grass that oscillated left and right. Sugar's pure,beautiful white pelt stood out against the landscape when she suddenly stopped, turning to Hawk. 

     "What's wrong, Hawk. You seem troubled. You keep sighing, and sighing, and sighing! I hope you know that you can tell me... Isn't that what sisters are for? Caring for each other and having compassion?" Sugar frowned, her clouded, blind eye emotionless, but her magnificent good eye reflecting hurt and confusion,"Can't you tell me...?" 

    Hawk's words were caught in her throat. She couldn't tell her sister. Sugar would be furious! Something in her heart told her that she just simply couldn't tell her. She had to keep it a secret. Either way, it's time to find Sly. Maybe I can distract her...

     "Eh, it's nothing. Why are you so worried? I'll tell you what. You need to relax, so I'll finish off the hunting. After all, it's new-leaf and the prey will start running. You'll be fine, and I'll be fine!" Hawk purred, shielding and suppressing her fear and uncertainty,"Now run along, and rest at camp. Tell Mom and Dad that I've got the hunting," ushering her sister on, she reassuringly nodded. 

     "Well... If you say so, I guess... After all, I could use a break from hunting," Sugar hesitantly conceded. 

     "Good. Now, run along. You deserve a break, and its new leaf! The time of rest," Hawk purred persuasively. If there's one thing that she inherited from her father, it was definitely his persuasiveness and charismatic words. Well... maybe not charisma, but definitely intelligence. Maybe I grew into my charisma. Hawk proudly watched as Sugar trotted off. Then, with a sudden pang of guilt, she felt sorry for deceiving her sister. Yet, I did what had to be done. Firmly, Hawk thought. Then she raced with increasing rapidity into the forest beyond her. She felt free. Like she had grown wings. It was as if she could fly through the forest! Hawk glided and weaved around the giant fronds of the ferns and brambles. The budding bushes and blossoming trees radiated with joy and new life. She felt like her soul was leaping and racing inside her as she bounded through the undergrowth. Purring, she slowed down, trotting through as the rosette blossoms fell onto her pelt and around her. With amusement, she smiled as a pink and red speckled blossom landed onto her nose. Gently she shook it off as she walked around. 

     Then she noticed the change. As she was relaxing in her own little world, she finally noticed something... There were no more blossom trees. There were no more oaks, or maples. There wasn't the safe, sheltering cover of the trees. Hawk was in a swamp now. The ground was muddy and it seeped near between her tan, fluffy paws. Hissing with pure disgust as she looked at her muddy, grimy paws, she recoiled back. 

     Ugh! How revolting! How can Sly stand to be in a place as repulsive as this! Hawk wrinkled her nose and flared her nostrils in pure disgust. 

     Yet, despite her feelings about the place, she felt something in her heart. A sense of importance... Like the time when she first met Sly. Something gave her a hunch that this place would mean something in her life. Gazing around, she noticed the wide, babbling river a few fox-lengths away. It cascaded beautifully and she could see the sheen of what looked like several fish. It bubbled and gurgled cheerfully, and the sun's radiant light reflected on its surface. Something compelled her to that river. Hawk glanced at her paws, and with a jolt, she remembered that they were webbed! I wonder if I could just get a closer look... With curiosity, the young she-cat pondered and wandered nearer and nearer to the enticing and inviting water. Then her tan, webbed paws touched the surface. Flinching, she pulled back at the cool, chilly sensation. With a gulp, she tentatively placed her paw fully into the water again. Hmm... The water's shallow. Maybe I can step in. She purred as she waded in with her other paws. With kit like enthusiasm, she kicked her legs around, she raced through the shallow waters absentmindedly, focusing on the joy that she hardly ever got to get, since her father usually gazed at her with scorn. The water felt refreshing and with contentment she washed the glistening, shining droplets that reflected the swamp around her. They slid and glistened from her fur, as if she was meant to be in this river. As she wading in the water, she purred with glee,"Oh, this place is-"