twelve - red

Third period passes by slowly. The end of the day promises much activity, which makes me anxious and, of course, causes for the rest of the day to drag by agonizingly slow. When fourth period finally arrives, there's a tiny part of me hoping to see Jericho there. Not just because we were acting somewhat civil to each other earlier, but also because I want to make sure he didn't get himself in trouble. Jericho seemed genuinely angry when he said he was going to confront his friends, and although I appreciate that he's finally starting to see what's wrong and right, if it comes down to a fight I don't know if Jericho can win it. Jericho can be scary but it would be three against one- not amazing odds.

He's not there. I spend the classes barely paying attention and mostly texting Jamie underneath the table about what happened earlier and about Jericho's offer to come over and help clean up.

Jamie: Does that mean he's going to meet your parents?

Natalie: ... Oh God. I didn't think about that.

Jamie: Are they going to be mad?

Natalie: My dad might, I'm not sure about my mom.

Jamie: Good luck. Do you want Mitch and I to come over too? We can help clean.

Natalie: Sure! It'd be a huge help.

Jamie agrees to come over after she finishes her homework, which she estimates would be an hour after school. I put my phone away when the teacher looks in my direction, sending him a quick smile. My smile quickly disappears when I glance at the clock and realize I still have another half hour of this class. I groan internally, flipping to the page number on the board and reading through the text, deciding to just block out my teacher.

When I have to reread the paragraphs five times and confirm the fact that I'm probably not going to pass the course, I simply close the book and lean back in my seat, listening to the different conversations moulding into one annoying background sound. Finally, the bell rings, causing for me to bolt out of my seat and rush to the door. I get some weird looks, I'm sure of it, but I'm way too high-strung to care right now.

Cole is passing by my locker when he sees me and chooses to approach me instead. Since he already has his stuff ready he walks with me as I make my way out. "I heard about your house," he says. "Do your parents know?"

I shake my head, "No, but I need to tell them. I'll probably call them on my way home."

"How do you think they're going to take it?"

I sigh, shaking my head. "No idea. Jericho is coming to help clean up, but I feel once they learn that this whole thing was sort of linked with him they're going to lose it. And if they end it up losing it at Jericho, I know that there's no way we're ever going to be able to talk to each other without fighting. And I'm so sick of fighting, Cole."

Cole bites down on his lip, looking down and almost bumping into a passing by student for it. "Does it... Does it hurt? Arguing with him?"

I chew on the inside of my cheek, admitting, "Yeah... it does. It's like the pain in my chest gets worse every time. I always feel so guilty after too, even though most of the time I shouldn't." I sigh heavily. "I don't know what's going on anymore, Cole. I just want to get through high school without losing it."

We stop in front of the parking lot doors, ready to part. Cole gives me a crooked smile, patting me on the shoulder and saying, "You'll be fine." I return the smile before saying goodbye and pushing open the doors.

True to his word, Jericho is standing next to my car, arms crossed over his chest and looking down at his shoes. He kicks a couple of rocks underneath his feet, looking lost in thought. At least he doesn't look bruised anywhere so he didn't get in a fight (hopefully). Jericho hears me approach and slowly looks up. He doesn't smile but his eyes don't hold the coldness that they usually do. His hands fall to his sides once I reach him and get my car keys out.