twenty eight - wine

"You're sure you don't want to tell the police?" Jericho asks for clarification from Arsenio for what seems like the hundredth time. Arsenio wrings his hands together, looking conflicted before finally nodding and exhaling heavily.

"Yes, Jericho," he says softly. "I'm sure. Let me just figure out how I'm feeling."

Jericho doesn't seem happy about it, but he eventually nods, stepping back from Arsenio and taking my hand. "Remember our talk," I remind him.

Arsenio rolls his eyes, "I will, don't worry."

"And you're going to be okay staying at Samuel's house, right?" Jericho asks. "At least until your mom comes back to town?"

Groaning, Arsenio throws his arms up in exasperation. "Yes! Jesus, quit coddling me, you two. I'm older than both of you."

Jericho scoffs, "You're older than me by a month."

"And I take pride in that. Now go, scoot. Get out of here because if I hear Natalie's ringtone go off one more time from her parents calling her I'm going to lose it."

I frown, "I like my ringtone."

Arsenio raises an eyebrow. "It's the Little Einsteins' theme song."

"It's cute!"

"You give me a headache. I pity Jericho."

"Awe, Arsenio," I nudge him with my elbow. "I know you secretly think of me as your best friend forever. Don't try and deny it."

"Leave before I barf!"

Jericho just rolls his eyes and takes my hand, dragging me away from an annoyed Arsenio. I know that he's really not that annoyed, though, because there's a small smile on his face. I wave to Arsenio one last time before letting Jericho drag me into my car. He gets in the passengers seat while I go around and get into the drivers, leaning back in my seat.

Jericho takes out his wallet, looking through it. "I think I have enough for a couple more nights at the motel."

I frown, "Are you sure you can't stay with Samuel?"

Jericho nods, "Positive. Samuel only has one place to sleep, and he and I don't exactly... get along. It'd be wrong for me to ask to stay with him when we've only been awful to each other ever since I moved to Crooks Street."

"Why don't you get along with him?"

Jericho shrugs. "Don't you ever have those couple of people you just can't agree about anything with? I tried to be friends with him before, but now just the sight of him makes my skin crawl."

I snort at that, knowing just how stubborn Jericho can be with the people he doesn't like. Good thing I was even more stubborn than him. I shake my head and force myself to focus on the present time. I really don't want Jericho to have to sleep in a motel tonight- mostly because after what happened tonight, I need to know he's safe. So, without a second thought- even though I really could've used one- I blurt out, "Stay with me tonight."

Jericho drops his wallet in surprise at my words. Blinking, he bends down to pick it up and tucks it back in his sweat pant pocket before turning back to me, "Pardon?"

"I just want to know you're okay tonight. Please, we'll just sleep. I know I shouldn't be scared of the rebels but you know what? They're fucking scary. And I know you can take care of yourself. It's just for me, to give me some peace of mind."

Jericho bites down on his bottom lip. "I lost my sleeping pills in the mess. I'm probably not even going to be able to sleep."

"You said it's been getting better, though."