twenty two - mahogany

"Too far," is the first thing I manage to choke out to Jamie. "This is way too far."

Jamie's blue eyes are hard and angry as she stares at the panicked crowd of people, looking around with shocked faces. I don't blame them- this is awful. It's incredibly disrespectful- this girl just passed away and the rebels think they have the right to turn this into some sort of propaganda for their 'cause'? Before I know it, I'm shaking with lividness.

"Where's Jericho?" I hiss out, grabbing Jamie's arm. "I need Jericho."

"Office," Jamie grits out, her cold eyes turning to face me. "They gathered every rebel in the school in the office. Tony, Jericho, Mariana- they're all in there."

I heave a deep breath, trying not to lose it. I can't help it, though- Jerichodidn't do this. He wouldn't, not after he finally opened up to me about his past and especially not after he's confessed so much about how he really feels about the rebels. It doesn't even cross my mind for a second that Jericho would do this, and maybe it's just the soulmate bond or the strong feelings I'm slowly but surely starting to develop for this guy, but I feel even more anger at whoever is trying to pin this on him.

Jamie takes my arm, attempting to drag me back upstairs, "Come on, Natalie, being down here is going to do no good."

"Jericho-"

"Is in the office, which is something you can't do anything about. They're going to watch the security tapes and realize that it wasn't him. For now, let's just get away from this chaos."

I breathe deeply, taking in Jamie's words. She's right- I'm getting worked up over Jericho for no reason. Nothing is going to happen to him, not after they see the security tapes. I nod, letting Jamie's strong grip drag me upstairs. The second floor is almost isolated, most of the school's population in front of the cafeterias. I dig my hands into my hair, feeling like I'm losing my mind.

Jamie puts a hand on my shoulder, "Natalie, are you okay?"

My hands abruptly drop as I shake my head violently. "No, Jamie, I'm not. This is- they're doing this because of Jericho and I!"

"Don't say that, Natalie. You and Jericho have nothing to do with this."

"Yes we do!" I shout, feeling frustrated. "Noel, he said that we'd regret ever meeting each other. They're all angry at Jericho for accepting me, and they were trying to take advantage of his vulnerable point but it didn't work and now-"

"Natalie." Jamie puts her hands on my shoulders, forcing me to face her and to heave in deep breaths. "Calm down. You're not making any sense."

Finally, I gather my thoughts enough to say, "It's disgusting. That was a seventeen year old girl's memorial, a girl who fought her ass off against a disease. It wasn't about Darren losing his soulmate- it was honouring a lost life. I am so sick of rebels thinking they can just go and trash something like that, that somehow it's okay. It's- I can't even wrap my head around it! It's deplorable."

Jamie chuckles, trying to lighten the mood just a bit, though it's a painful attempt. "I get you're angry, but don't go using big words on me. I'm barely passing English, remember?"

I feel my shoulders slumping, chuckling just a bit despite the situation. I'm grateful for Jamie and her attempt of making me loosen up a bit. I pull myself together, forcing myself to walk away from the top of the staircase and to my locker. "Are you going to fourth period?" Jamie asks me.

I sigh, "Yeah, I have to. I already skipped school on Friday, my parents will kill me if I miss any more class."

Jamie exhales, nodding, "Alright, let me know if Jericho shows up. I'm going to go find Mitch."