twenty one - turquoise

We don't talk about Jericho's past after that. It's like an understanding has passed through us- I know what's happened to Jericho and his family, I know why he's scared to trust and he's scared to love. There's no need for further discussion, all either of us need to do now is help the other move on from past mistakes and experiences.

Jericho and I don't hug again after that. We make slightly contact every now and then, but I know that hug was a huge deal for Jericho and probably isn't going be happening too often, at least not for now. That's okay, though; as much as I'd love for Jericho and I to have a soulmate relationship, I want to focus on getting him to trust me first. The other stuff will come eventually.

I get interrogated slightly by my mom and dad when I get home, but after explaining Jericho was sick and I stayed behind to look after him, they let me slide with a stern look. This isn't the first time I've skipped school- I acted up quite a bit during the three months of rejection- but considering this time it's because of my soulmate, my mom and dad are a lot less harsh.

The weekend passes by relatively slow. Jericho texts me to let me know that he's staying at Arsenio's while he figures things out with his aunt. I remind him about what Noel said, but Jericho just assures me that he can handle Noel, Silas and Dominick. Besides, they wouldn't do much; they're all on probation.

While I spend most of the weekend driving around town with my mom, picking up groceries and such, Jericho spends it catching up on sleep. He doesn't get much of it- on Saturday he only got a four hour nap in, but on Sunday he was lucky enough to fit in a three-hour nap during the day and four hours at night with the help of his medication. I like to think me constantly texting him in all caps to go to sleep helped with something too, even if he won't admit it.

When I see Jericho on Monday, he seems like a whole different person. The bags under his eyes are still there, but they're a lot less noticeable. His eyes shine just a bit brighter and his smile is just a bit more genuine. This time, Jericho walks me to my first period class rather than the other way around. "I'm guessing you're feeling better," I joke lightly with him.

Jericho chuckles too, nodding. "It was nice to get sleep."

"How's rooming with Arsenio?"

Shaking his head, Jericho groans, "Awful. He snores like a freight train. I had to move to the room on the other side of the house just to escape it."

I snort. My tone turns a little more serious when I ask, "Who does Arsenio live with?"

Jericho sighs deeply, running a hand through his hair, musing it up even more. "His mom. His dad had a really short temper. He got in a lot of fights with Arsenio's mom, though it was always verbal, until a couple of years ago. The second his dad got physical, his mom threw him out. She's been a single mother since." Jericho shrugs, "I mean, Arsenio isn't traumatized by it or anything. The physical stuff only happened once and his mom didn't stand for it. She's a really stubborn and smart woman. But ever since then, Arsenio said love was a fake if a soulmate would dare hurt their other half like that. I just hope when he finds his soulmate, she'll prove him wrong. He's gotten really bitter lately."

I bite down on my bottom lip, thinking back to the story Arsenio told me. I know why Arsenio's been bitter lately- he's been dealing with the effects of rejection. I just nod, giving Jericho a small smile, silently agreeing with him; I hope he can make up with his soulmate and become happy.

We part ways at my class after a quick goodbye. Thankfully I'm pretty early, which means Jericho won't be late heading to his class. I sit down next to Jamie, smiling at Mitchell and Cole who are turned around in their seats to talk to her. Cole taps my desk to gain my attention, "You know Darren?"