twenty three - rose

Jericho doesn't text me that evening. As much as I want to text him first and check up on him, I know that I have to wait for him to make the first move- after all, he had clearly stated he wanted to be alone. What Darren said left its effect, and if Jericho doesn't want to get pushed to talking about it then I can't force him to.

At two in the morning, though, I'm awoken by the sound of a text message.

Jericho: Are you awake?

I know if it was anyone else, I'd be annoyed to be woken up at two in the morning by such a question, but since it's Jericho I simply can't feel any anger. Rubbing the tiredness out of my eyes, I sit up- my legs still tangled in my blankets- as my squinting eyes type out a reply.

Natalie: Yup. What's up?

Jericho: I know it's late, but can I see you? Or at least call you?

Natalie: I can sneak out. Where do you want to meet?

Jericho: I'm already by the school, if that's okay with you. Or is it too far?

Natalie: No, I have a car. Be there in five minutes.

I waste no time getting out of bed, putting my hair in a bun so it doesn't look like a cow has been chewing on it, and throwing on sweatpants and a hoodie. Slipping on my Birkenstocks, I grab my car keys from my nightstand and tiptoe my way out the house. As long as I'm back before five, my parent's shouldn't know I've been out. Hopefully.

It doesn't take me long to reach the school, considering the streets are empty so there's no traffic. When I pull up the vacant parking lot of the school, I see Jericho sitting on the curb, head in hands. He looks up once my headlights cover him in a white light as they pull up beside him. Jericho gets to his feet, giving me a shaky smile as I get out of the car.

"Hey," I mutter. Jericho doesn't reply with words, simply pulls me into a hug that sends sparks shooting through my system. My arms wrap around him, and suddenly, it's clearer than ever to me that this is where I'm supposed to be the rest of my life. In Jericho's arms, but Jericho's side- just with Jericho.

Jericho inhales and exhales slowly, his fingers scrunching up the fabric of my hoodie as his grip on me increases. In a soft whisper, he murmurs, "Thank you. Just- for everything."

"Thank you," I reply, "For giving this a try after all the hurt you've been through."

Jericho's finger unclench the fabric, instead flattening his palms against my back. "All my life I've believed that love can destroy. But- if you can promise me that you'll be there to pick up the pieces, I'll risk being destroyed. For you."

"I promise, Jericho."

I really don't want to let go of him, but Jericho's grip is loosening on me, and I know what that means. Pulling back, I give him a soft smile before latching onto the sleeve of his large sweatshirt, not wanting to break the contact between us. "Are you okay? After yesterday, when you said you wanted to be alone-"

Jericho shakes his head, cutting me off. "I realized that I didn't want to be alone. I wanted to be with you. And that kind of scared me, but I told myself that it was time for me to get some courage and face the things that scare me. Like trusting you, or getting sparks every time we touch, or starting to believe the stories of soulmates being in love with each other. It scares me but I want to face my fears."

And fuck- I really want to kiss him right then and there. But I don't, because if Jericho doesn't want that then there's no way in hell I'm ruining this moment. So I just stare into Jericho's amber eyes and he stares into my hazel ones, my fingers gripping onto his sleeve as my knuckles brush against his wrist. He smiles before wrapping his hand around the wrist of the hand that is gripping onto his sleeve.