In the hospital

^ Cody Black

***

I hear a beep, beep, beep. Next to my head.

Where is that annoying sound coming from?

I open my eyes and I can see a white room. My index finger is connected to something white and I follow the cord to a machine. A heart machine.

"Can someone shut that beeping up." I grumble.

Sandra laughs. "I've missed your voice."

"How long have I been out?"

"Three days."

I shake my head. "Have you been to work?"

Sandra walks over to my bed. "Yeah, I come here after dinner and stay until eleven."

Someone's hand is holding mine and I look at the person with there head on the bed. I run my fingers through the brown locks. He lifts his head up. "Your awake?"

I nod. "Yeah, have you been sleeping properly?"

He shakes his head. "No, I've been worried about you."

I frown. "Why?"

He pulls me into his arms. "I like you a lot. I can't imagine a world without you in it."

I push him. "You don't know me."

He sighs. "You're right I don't. When you get out of here all three of us can get to know each other better?"

Sandra nods. "Okay,"

"Fine,"

Cody smiles. "Good, I have to go. I'll see you at work on Monday?" He kisses my cheek and walks out the door.

Sandra sits next to me. "I've never seen Cody like that."

I look at the door. "I like him, Sandra. I'm afraid if I fall for him he will break my heart."

Sandra pulls me into a hug. "Dani, give him a chance."

I nod. "I will."

"Good. I spoke to your Dad three days ago."

I frown. "So you know Jake Martinez is my father?"

She nods. "He told me everything that's going on and I told him he can trust me with your secret. Jake has sent your things to my apartment. You get to stay with me for the remainder of the Real World test."

I laugh. "Are you mad at me?"

"No! You have everyone fooled though. You should tell Cody before the revelation."

"I will. Has my parents been by since?"

"They came in this afternoon. I'll give them a call and let them know you are awake." Sandra leaves the room.

I remove the white clip from my finger.

Beeeeep!

I mess with the machine until it turns off.

I close my eyes.

***

Sandra and I enter her apartment at eight o'clock. The doctors didn't like me messing with the equipment and thought I was too much trouble to keep in there.

Sandra looks at me from the kitchen. "Are you hungry?"

I nod. "Do you have anything with chocolate?"

She laughs. "A sweet tooth?"

"Yeah!"

Sandra brings over chocolate coated biscuits and I take two. "Do you want to watch a movie?"