Chapter Three

After a while of chatting with her new found friend, Toothiana, Y/N finally decided that she would talk to Santa Claus- or as others called him, North.

After all, out of all of the guardians there, North seemed to be the one in charge. She decided she would ask him what being a guardian really meant, and what duties she had.

After tooth rushed off to give more orders to her fairies- or hummingbirds- whatever they were, Y/N walked over to North, who was busy talking to a Yeti, and encouraging the elves to continue doing- whatever they were doing. Y/N had only heard rumors that the elves were the ones doing all the toy making, but clearly, they were mistaken. The elves seemed to serve no point in Santa's workshop.

Y/N patiently waited for the old man to stop talking with his yeti, not wanting to anger him by being rude. A minute or so later, he turned to her.

"So, Cupid," he began, but Y/N interrupted.

"Please, just call me Y/N."

"Sorry. It's a habit. But anyway, what do you come here to talk about?" He asked.

"I want to know what being a guardian is, basically. What do I do? What does it mean? Am I important?" She rambled.

"You mean, you decided to make a decision, not knowing what it even is?" He asked, surprised.

"Well, yeah, I guess so," she admitted. "I only really agreed so I could have helpers."

"Cupid must be a hard job then eh? No free time?"

"Yeah. I have to be at so many places everyday, I never get any time to myself at all. I think having helpers could change things. I really just want to have some time to relax for once."

"I can understand that," he agreed.

"But I suggest you understand what you are getting into before you agree to something like that again."

She silently laughed at his fatherly behavior.

"I'll definitely do that. But hey, getting helpers was too good of an offer."

"Y/N, I mean it. I can't have Pitch or someone else with bad intentions baiting you into something."

Y/N nodded, finally serious.

"Of course."

"Good. Now, being a guardian, is protecting children around the earth, keep them believing. We don't ask much. We just need you to keep children believing and protecting what matters most."

"That sounds reasonable."

"Of course. But for example, I protect wonder. That is my centre."

"Centre?"

"Difficult to explain. But Y/N, what do you protect?"

Y/N didn't even give it a second thought. It was fairly obvious.

"Love."

North chuckled.

"It was very obvious, yes?"

"Yeah. But I have no idea why that's what I protect. Loves not real." She said under her breath.

North paused.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, never mind. It's nothing."

"Whatever you say, Y/N"

Y/N waved North off.

"Thanks North. Anyway, I'm going to go speak with Jack. I have to explain my job entirely."

Y/N walked over to where Jack was flying around. He was pelting poor Bunnymund with snowballs.

She rolled her eyes. Of course that's what frosty would be doing.

She readied an attack arrow in her bow, aimed, and fired. Her arrow pierced right through a snowball that was just about to hit Bunny. The arrow lodged into the wall, and the hardly packed snowball was stuck onto the shaft of the arrow.

"Oh, thank you Y/N! Can you cover for me? I'm going back to work, so stay safe, and make sure little frosty here knows his place!" He said, pointing over to Jack who was making faces behind Bunny's back.

She laughed.

"Of course, Bunnymund. Jack's got a lesson to learn; and I'll be teaching that lesson."

"Thanks Sheila. Anyway, I like you. Don't go causing trouble with frosty, okay?"

She gave him a salute.

"Got it."

"Good."

Bunnymund tapped his foot twice, creating a hole beside him. He shot a glare at Jack before leaving.

"So, what's this lesson I have to learn, snowflake?"

She scoffed.

"I'm going to explain my job to you, just in case you don't get it."

"Tooth did fine."

"Then how'd she describe it?"

"You shoot two soul mates and they match up, big hoo hah. What's the big deal anyway?"

"That's what I was going to explain."

Jack rolled his eyes before floating down and crouching on the top of his staff.

"Alright, snowflake. Explain so I get to  understand why you're so uptight with your job."

"Alright just listen, okay? I don't need your smart ass remarks while I'm explaining."

He nodded, and put up his hands in mock surrender. This guy really knew how to get on Y/N's nerves.

"Okay, so throughout all of time, everyone's destinies have been woven, each person's lives intertwining into each other's in one way or another. Now most people have a soul mate. Not everyone. While around seventy percent do, there is a thirty percent who do not. They have a choice whether they want to love or not, and people who don't have soulmate can match up with other people who don't have soul mates if they so choose."

"Go on."

"I was going to. Anyway, there is a specific place and time in their timeline that cannot be changed- no matter what they do. That place is the place they'll meet their match. My job, is to go to each specific point, and shoot my arrows at both. My arrows have a magic in them that forces the two people to have some sort of interest in the other, so their relationship can go from there. The magic fades off in an hour, but that's enough time for them to talk and exchange ways to keep in touch. You understand so far?" She asked.

"Meh. Somewhat."

"Okay, I'll simplify this. Soul mates have a point in their life that they'll be in the same place, at the same time, I have to get them to notice eachother. When I do, they can work their relationship from there. You catch my drift?"

"Yeah, sorta," he started. "But what I don't get, is how do you know where to be, and how do you get there so fast?"

"That's where the Man in the Moon comes in. He gave me an internal navigation system and ingrained all soulmate pairing in my head. It's a little hard to bear at times but I'm okay with it."

"Wow. Okay, forgive my mocking. That's a pretty tough job."

"Thank you. You're forgiven."She said.

"Oh, and these bad boys are how I get around so fast." She stretched out her wings, allowing Jack to get a look. Jack came down from his staff, and admired them for a second. Y/N was proud of her wings, and there wasn't a minute she wasn't happy with them.

"So, what's so difficult about your job?" She teased.

Jack gave her a skeptical look.

"I'm just kidding."

She laughed, and after a second Jack began to laugh too.

___
I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! Love you all. Until the next update!

-disneybabes