Chapter Nine

Jack Frost.

Y/N couldn't believe this boy. He was certainly something. His training barely made sense, but she didn't blame him. He wasn't very good at explaining things. At least she thought so. Or maybe she just wasn't paying attention.

It wasn't her fault though. His infuriatingly white hair kept falling into his face and his stupidly blue eyes kept flickering up to meet hers. It's as if he was trying to distract her. Stupid Jack.

An hour after he finished, Y/N couldn't believe she got nothing from the entire day. How was she supposed to deal with Pitch? Maybe she wouldn't have to. She'd keep her distance, and she wouldn't need to. Or perhaps not.

Some things were inevitable. It was inevitable that the sun would set, and the moon would rise. It was inevitable that all living things eventually died. It was inevitable that Y/N was to come face to face with her worst fears.

And that fact terrified her.

It was only natural to fear it. But her fear ran deeper. She knew exactly what she'd see, what she would hear, and what she would feel. Every single detail was imprinted in her mind, fresh as if she'd lived that memory the day before. Some immortals were lucky enough to forget- have their minds wiped clean of who they were, and every memory that made them, well, them. Y/N wasn't that lucky. She remembered everything, and that was what plagued her.

No no no no no. She was not going to do that. She was going to run. She'd run fast and far, far as her legs would carry her. She'd run until she would collapse, and then, and only then would she surrender.

Y/N knew this all too well. She was a coward, a quitter, and fear ridden being. She knew one thing- which was that when the time came, she'd run.

The couldn't do this.

A warm hand appeared on her shoulder as she fell too deep in thought, herself not realizing that her throat was clamping up and her hands were clammy. The hand was warm, and safe, and she let herself fall into the embrace. She was safe. She was fine.

Y/N decided that maybe just this once, she'd stay. She wouldn't run. She let herself have that moment, that feeling. She gave her trust, even for a millisecond over to the hands of Jack Frost.