Chapter Ten

Finally prepared for pitch. That's what she thought she was. But keeping her steps going as they walked closer and closer to their destination was getting harder. Each step made her stomach curl in on itself a little more. It was unbearable. Y/N kept her eyes down as she walked, the silence tense, but not awkward. They knew what they were there to do.

A cold hand on her shoulder woke Y/N from her trance, and she leaned into the touch ever so slightly.

Training had been somewhat awkward with Jack and her, but as time went on, everything began to seem... More comfortable. Y/N hated how easily she was giving in to Jack's charm. She even hated to admit that he had charm. But it was there, just like her comfort when she was around him. Her walls were melting. And faster than she wanted.

Jack's cool hand slid from one shoulder to around both, and Y/N didn't shake it off this time. It wasn't uncomfortable. It was the opposite of that, really. It was as if Jack knew how she felt. He knew her discomfort with people, he knew her hesitance to get close to others, and he just.. dealt with it. He worked around it. His actions were oddly mature for his personality, if she were to be honest.

Her eyes met him in a silent 'thank you' as they moved, finally reaching the place. Jacks arm dropped back to his side.

Before them stood a broken bed, and a hole right under it. Voices sounded around them. Y/N could tell others heard them too, but something told her they didn't hear the same as she did. It was unexpected for her really; from what she knew of pitch, it was that he'd hit low and hard to anybody near him.

Then she heard it. It shook her to the core and her blood ran cold.

'Y/N. Don't you miss me?' She heard. His voice was low like she remembered it. Husky and cruel, and it used to make her shiver with pleasure when she'd hear it. Know she only knew fear.

One step back.

Two steps back.

A hand caught her.

It was cold, but it was real. Real enough to pull her back to reality. She held on to the feeling. Y/N felt herself being pulled into Jack, wrapped in his cool embrace, his voice in her ear.

"It'll be ok, snowflake.." He spoke.

Jacks voice replaced his, and she felt herself relax.

"Focus on my voice, sweetheart. Listen to my voice, and count five things you can feel around you."

Jacks arms were around her body, and she melted into them. Jacks voice was in her ear, and she listened. She could feel the cool wind across her flushed cheek. She could still taste the aftertaste of the cookie that North offered her when they left, which she gladly took. And when she opened her eyes, she could see Jack's eyes, his brilliant blue eyes, staring back into her e/c ones.

She felt grounded again. Y/N turned her head, her arms still around Jack, and looked at the bed again, his voice still whispering, but quieter now. It sounded fake. It wasn't him. She was safe.

Or at least, she was safe for now.

"Shall we?" North asked, stepping towards the hole, ready to jump. Bunny stopped him before he could take another step, his nose twitching.

"Not so fast. We've already got company." Bunny spoke. The guardians heads turned to where bunny was looking, and found what, or rather, who, they'd been searching for.

Pitch.

The man chuckled menacingly, his eyes boring into each figure of the guardians. "Well, well, well. What have we here?" He asked, a grim smile across his face. "The same old guardians, coming to save the day again." Pitch paused, surveying the group.

"Ah, look here. A new addition. Cupid. I see you've joined them." Pitch said, smirking ever so slightly.

"I didn't think you'd want the biggest coward on your little 'team.'"

Jack furrowed his brows and held Y/N tighter, his grip on his staff tighter and his free arm holding her waist.

"Shut it, Pitch. She's no coward." He snapped, the other guardians nodding in agreement. Y/N made no protest to Pitch's words, and shrunk in on herself slightly.

"Oh really? Why don't you let her speak for herself then?" Pitch taunted, eyes solely focused on the girl now. Y/N's eyes darted away from Pitch, not speaking a word.

Her silence only made Pitch grin wider. "That speaks for itself, doesn't it." Black sand began to curl around on the ground, the guardians separating slightly, taking steps back in an attempt to keep away from the sand. Jack remained still.

Pitch stepped forward, now face to face with Y/N. "Poor, little Y/N. Unable to speak for herself. You know you can't deny my words. You know what you are." He mused, continuing, "A disgusting coward is what you are. So terrified. So weak."

Jacks thumb moved in a circular motion on her side, in an attempt to calm her, but her heart beat ever faster.

"Terrified of love, terrified of people, terrified of..." Pitch trailed off. A figure came up from the sand, beginning to resemble a face Y/N tried so very hard to forget. But now he stood in front of her, his eyes boring into hers. A sly smile stretched across his face. And then he spoke.

"Did you miss me, love?"