Chapter One

Keys clicked in the lock and the door to the motel room swung open, admitting a tall man wearing a leather jacket inside.  He stepped through the door, letting it swing shut behind him, and set his keys down on the table.

"Find anything?" he asked without preamble, walking over to join his brother at the tiny motel table.

Sam shrugged.  "Not much," he answered.  "It may be our type of gig, but I'm not sure."

Dean grunted and leaned over Sam's shoulder to peer at the laptop screen.  "At this point, any lead is a good lead."

It had been several days since their last lead on any supernatural occurrences, and it was obvious that Dean was beginning to go stir crazy.  Living life as ghost hunters was generally an action-packed job and any lull in the action tended to get boring, and fast.  Even spending all of his time at the local bar as he did, Dean was getting bored.

"Where is it?" Dean asked.

Sam pulled up an online newspaper article.  "There's a small town in Wyoming called Maple Falls where four people have disappeared in the last week," he explained.  "No obvious links between the victims, though."

Dean furrowed his brow.  "Any ideas what it could be?"

Sam shrugged again.  "It's very vague," he said.  "I don't know enough to make an educated guess.  At this point, it could be a lot of things."

Dean picked up his keys again and spun them around on his index finger.  "Well, I guess we'll see when we get there."

Sam glanced up.  "You want to leave right this second?"

"Why not?" Dean asked, pulling open the motel door.  "Wyoming isn't getting any closer, you know."

"Okay," Sam said, shutting his laptop and sliding it into his bag.  "Just let me get my stuff together."

~

Three days later

"Nothing!" Dean fumed, pacing around their tiny motel room.  "No links between the victims.  No deaths in this town.  No demonic activity.  Nothing!"

"Calm down," Sam said placidly.

Dean growled under his breath and swept his keys off the motel table in anger.  "There's nothing, Sam!  Nothing paranormal!  Face it!  We talked to all of the families.  We checked out all of the places the victims were last seen.  We scoured the whole damn town for EMF.  We spent hours and hours at the library trying to find anything that could have led to a vengeful spirit.  There's no sulfur or demonic activity.There - is - nothing - here.  It was a false lead."

"Dean," Sam began tiredly.

"Don't 'Dean' me!" Dean snapped. 

Sam raised his hands in surrender and sat back on one of the beds.  "So it was a false lead," he tried again.  "That's okay.  We've had them before.  Something will turn up eventually.  It always does."

"But if it's not supernatural activity, then why are people disappearing?" Dean demanded.  "There are no links between the victims at all."

"There might be," Sam offered.  "Maybe we've missed something."

"Since when do we miss something?"

"We actually miss something pretty often," Sam muttered under his breath.

Dean turned around and glared at him.  "What did you just say?"

"Nothing, nothing."

Dean growled again and bent to pick up the keys to the Impala.  "I'm going to the bar.  I need a drink."