Chapter Four

Blue-green light pulsed gently from the bobbled tube in the center of the TARDIS console, casting a greenish glow over the interior of the room.  The rest of the lights were shut off, conserving energy.  The TARDIS hummed gently, as if she herself were sleeping.  Reclining in his chair with his feet up on the console and his eyes closed, the Doctor smiled to himself.

"Taking a little nap, I see," he said quietly.  "You deserve it after today."

The TARDIS rumbled softly in response.

The Doctor smiled and relaxed into his chair, content.  They were hovering above Earth now, all of his passengers were asleep, and the weeping angels couldn't reach them in any way.  I can take a break and get some shut-eye, he decided.

That being said, his wildly whirling thoughts kept him awake for nearly an hour before he could fall asleep.

~

Four hours later

The TARDIS jerked suddenly and a shudder ran throughout the whole ship.  The Doctor yelped in surprise as he was snapped awake, then flailed wildly as his chair tipped warningly to one side.  He lost the battle for balance and crashed to the floor with an oof  of surprise.

Down the bedroom hall, voices overlapped as his four companions were roused by the sudden movement.  Barely a second later, they came in a rush, in various states of dishevelment.  Sherlock looked calm, even a bit bored, as usual.  Sam's hair was sticking up erratically all over the place.  John was rubbing his eyes, trying to erase his drowsiness.  Dean had a slightly edgy look in his eyes - but then again, he was afraid of flying, the Doctor thought.  Any sudden movements would be likely to startle him. 

"What was that?" Dean demanded roughly, swiping one hand across his eyes as if clearing the leftover cobwebs of sleep away from his face.

The TARDIS shuddered again and the lights flicked back on.  The sound of static filled the air.  "We're getting a message from someone," the Doctor said, pulling himself to his feet, puzzled.  He went to the console and flicked a few switches, pulling a screen on a movable arm around towards them.

Sam managed to flatten his hair and they all stared expectantly at the screen.  It remained gray and fuzzy.  After a moment, Sherlock spoke up.  "Well?" he asked. 

"Just a minute," the Doctor said.  He ran down a set of stairs and darted under the console, pulling out his sonic screwdriver.  John leaned over the edge of the railing to watch.  The Doctor put his sonic in his teeth and started climbing through the maze of wires, muttering under his breath.  He made it to the correct set, pulled his screwdriver from his teeth, and sonicked the wires.  There was a loud snap and sparks shot from the wires.

"That should do it!" the Doctor said, satisfied.  He untangled himself from the wires and trotted back up to the console.  There, he repeated the series of flicking a set of switches and turned expectantly to the screen.

The static sound receded and the fuzzy grayness faded from the screen, replaced by a face.  A pale face with slicked-back dark hair and black eyes.  The man smiled, but his eyes remained dead.

John drew in a sharp breath of surprise.

"Hello, Sherlock," Moriarty said.

Sherlock stared at the screen, his face impassive.  Everyone looked at Sherlock in unison, then back to the screen as Moriarty's oily voice continued to ooze from the speakers.

"I trust that this message finds you safe far above Earth," Moriarty continued.  He smiled that dead smile again.  "I've been watching you, Sherlock.  The way you evaded my weeping angel?  That wasn't part of the plan, I admit, but now things have got about ten times more interesting."