Chapter Twenty

Eventually, their meeting was adjourned and they all retired to their separate rooms, emotionally and physically exhausted from the day's events.  Despite the fact that his legs felt like lead and his eyes felt like handfuls of salt had been rubbed into them, Sam knew that he wouldn't be able to sleep.

So he found himself up at the ungodly hour of four o'clock in the morning, putting together a spell that would summon a demon.

Dean hadn't wanted to move Cas from where he was stretched peacefully across Dean's bed, so the hunter had instead decided to crash on his brother's bed.  That was fine with Sam.  It left him able to work on his spell while at the same time watching their comatose friend and hopefully preventing any more seizures.

Sam was painstakingly drawing a devil's trap on the floor of the room. Usually, he did this very fast - he'd done it so many times that he had the strokes completely memorized in his brain. But the last time they'd seen Crowley, they hadn't been on very good terms.

To put it frankly, Crowley was pissed at the Winchesters, and Sam didn't want to accidentally let the king of hell escape his trap because he'd gone fast and been sloppy.

He finished the devil's trap with a few careful squiggles and then picked up his bowl of spell, setting it gently into the exact middle of the trap.  He pulled a box of matches out of his pocket and struck one against the box.  Then he paused, watching the tiny flame flicker and dance before his eyes.

That was when Cas started to shake.

"Damn it!"  Sam dropped the match, stamped the fire out with his foot, and rushed to his friend's side.  He clamped both hands on either one of Castiel's shoulders.  The angel was spasming, his arms and legs jerking from side to side in a seizure more frenzied than any of his others.  Sam gritted his teeth, trying in vain to hold his friend still.

A high-pitched whining noise filled the air.  Steadily, it grew louder and louder, until it reached unbearable levels.  Sam was forced to release Cas's shoulders and instead clasp both of his hands over his ears, squeezing his eyes shut against the painful keen.  A glass of water on the nightstand next to the bed shattered and threw shards of glass everywhere.

There was an enormous flash of unearthly gold light and the keening cut off abruptly.  Sam had somehow ended up crouched on the floor, his head tucked almost between his legs as he tried to escape the relentless noise.  Cautiously, he raised his head, pulling his hands away from his ears.  "What the hell..."

His eyes widened.  "Cas?"

The angel was sitting up on the bed, looking dazed, his eyes unfocused.  He shook his head doggedly a few times and gazed around owlishly.  His eyes found Sam, and it was a moment before they could focus in on the hunter's face.  "Sam?"

Sam came to his feet and rushed to his friend's side.  He grabbed one of Cas's shoulders, looking him up and down incredulously.  "What the hell.." he repeated, but let it trail off as he started to laugh.  "Cas!"

Cas grunted as Sam enveloped him in a huge hug.  "Hello, Sam.  I'm back."

Sam opened his mouth delightedly to respond, but before he could there was a loud crash from another room. This was followed by a wonderfully familiar voice. Two, actually.

"Bloody hell!"

"Ow! John!"

"Sorry, sorry! What the hell are you doing on the floor anyways?"

"I've just died, John, I wasn't exactly in charge of where my body ended up!"

Sam practically flew out of the room and into the next room over.  He slammed open the door to encounter a consulting detective and his blogger in a heap on the floor, struggling to untangle their many limbs from one another.