Chapter Five

The weeping angel's grip was unrelenting around Dean's throat.  It continued to smile, its black eyes staring at him mercilessly as it slowly squeezed the life out of him.

Dean felt his legs quivering.  Black was slowly spreading over his vision.  He was out of oxygen and the weeping angel knew it.  It stared, and it smiled, and it squeezed, and Dean wondered if, after all of these years, this was the way he was going to die.

There was a splintering crash and suddenly the pressure around Dean's throat vanished.  He collapsed to his knees, gasping for air, sucking in great gulps of oxygen.  Cas stood beside him, holding an immense tree branch that was snapped nearly in half.  The weeping angel's arm had been shattered when Castiel swung the tree branch down on top of it with all of his might.

Cas grabbed Dean's shoulder and instantly they were on board the TARDIS.  Dean coughed weakly and rubbed his throat.  "Sam," he croaked.  "Get Sam!"

Instead of answering, Cas simply winked out again.  He returned a second later with Sam in tow.  Then he was gone and back again, this time with one hand on each of Sherlock and John's shoulders.

"Shut the doors!" the Doctor ordered; John rushed over to them and slammed them shut just as something slammed into them from the other side.  The retired army doctor leaned his back against them, bracing himself with his feet wide apart to keep the weeping angels from getting inside.

"Dean?  Dean!  You okay?" Sam demanded, grabbing his brother's arm and dragging him upright. 

Dean took a deep breath, massaging his throat, and managed a nod.  "I'm fine," he rasped.

"What was wrong with those things?" Sherlock asked.  "They were different then the other one.  They touched Dean, but they didn't send him back in time.  And their eyes - their eyes were black."

"They were possessed," Sam said, a confused look on his face.  "Can that happen?"

"Possessed by...?" John asked, grimacing as a weeping angel slammed once more into the other side of the doors.

"Demons," Dean answered, his voice raw and scratchy.  He cleared his throat a few times. 

Sam dug around in his pack and pulled out a bottle of water, which he handed to Dean.  "Can demons possess anything other than humans?" he asked.

"That's what I came to tell you," Cas said.  "The demons are possessing weeping angels.  They are under Jim Moriarty's control.  Apparently he promised them you and Sam's souls if they helped him."

"Great," Dean rasped.  "Someone else  is after our souls."

The Doctor raced around the console, his sonic screwdriver in his mouth, wildly trying to get the TARDIS work again.  "Come on, sexy!" he pleaded.  "Wake up!  I need you!"  He ran down the stairs and into the tangle of wires, sonicking some randomly.

The weeping angels slammed into the outside of the TARDIS again, sending a shudder throughout the spaceship.  John stumbled a step forwards, away from the doors, and instantly one was shoved open a crack.  He slammed his back into it and forced it closed again.  Sherlock went to join him, adding his weight to keeping the TARDIS doors firmly closed.  "We need to get out of here, Doctor," the detective said warningly.

"I know, I know!" the Doctor said in frustration.  "But the interfering signal and the crash hurt the TARDIS!  She doesn't have enough energy to lift off again!  I don't understand why, because I always keep plenty of reserve energy on hand in case something like this happens and we're stranded in a danger zone!"  He ran back up the stairs to the console.