Chapter Ten

John flopped across the bed in his small room aboard the TARDIS, groaning.  It had been a long few days - weeping angel attack.  Aliens are real.  Moriarty wants to kill you - what else is new.  TARDIS crash.  Demons and ghosts and angels and the devil are real, too.  Moriarty wants to rip a hole in time and space and free the demons unto the universe.  Let's go and capture ourselves some demon-possessed aliens that would love to rip us apart.  After all of that, a man deserved some sleep.

John turned his head and pressed his face into his pillow, not even bothering to take off his shoes.  An active-duty soldier learns to fall asleep at the drop of a hat: any extra sleep you can catch is precious.  Within seconds, his eyelids had slid shut and he was blissfully unconscious.

~

Moriarty stood over his panel of buttons.  He looked at his watch, staring at it intently for a few seconds. 

Then, he reached out and pressed a button.

~

It seemed as if he had only shut his eyes for a few seconds when a deep tremor ran through the TARDIS.  John snapped away instantly, rolling over and falling out of the bed - but managing to catch himself before falling on his face.  He pulled himself upright and half staggered out into the hallway, heading towards the TARDIS control room.

Dean was ahead of him in the hallway, pulling on a denim button-down over his gray t-shirt.  "What was that?" he asked, rubbing his fingers into his eyes and then blinking several times.  This simple action seemed to wake him up one hundred percent and make him more alert.

John tried it.

Nope.  Still tired.

The Doctor was at the console - as usual - turning cogs and pressing a few buttons, a puzzled look on his face.  "I'm not sure," he admitted.  As of now, he wasn't running around like a maniac - which meant that whatever it was, it wasn't about to put them in mortal peril.

For now, at least.

Clara appeared in the doorway to the bedroom hall.  She was wearing a white shirt under a navy blue hoodie and black jeans tucked into the same pair of combat boots.  Her hair was pulled up into a ponytail.  "Is everything alright?" she asked, coming to stand beside John and peering over the console.

"I think so," the Doctor replied, frowning slightly.   Another deep tremor ran through the floor.

A door opened down the hallway and Sam stumbled up the hallway, raking a hand through his hair.  He rubbed a hand over his face to hide his yawn and shook his head roughly.  "Everything okay?"  He glanced around.  "Where's Cas?"

Dean frowned.  "I actually don't know."

Sam went back down the hallway, glancing into each room.  Sherlock left his and came to join them with Sam trailing behind.

"He might've gotten lost," Clara offered.  "I still do, sometimes.  The TARDIS is endless."

The Doctor flipped a few switches and rubbed the console.  "What is it, sexy?" he crooned.  "Why are you shaking?"

The TARDIS shuddered one more time and then the bobbled tube began to rise up and down.  Everyone seized either a railing or the console to keep their balance.  "Where are we going?" John asked. 

The Doctor's brow furrowed.  "I don't know.  I didn't tell her to take off."

"That can't be good," Sherlock muttered.

"At least this flight seems steadier than most of the others," Sam observed.

The TARDIS slammed down.  Everyone jolted, but kept their balance.  She fell still with one final shudder.